answering the question about what other schools you're applying to?

mrb1145

I'm kind of uncomfortable with the question that some schools ask about where else you're applying. Does anyone have any insider information on how this information is used? I can't tell if it's better to be honest and show that I've done a lot of research to come up with the appropriate programs for my interest, or avoid showing all my cards. Thoughts?

I think its probably more to see which other programs/schools they are being ranged with according to students. No one expects you to apply only to their school. I was honest on all my applications and it didn't seem to hurt me any. This question will also come up in interviews if a program does them, as you'll see from other posts

It isn't usually a big factor, but allows admissions committees to see whether you've made well-informed choices, and also allows them to consider "likelihood to come" as a factor. You can leave it blank, but then it could look like you're lying to game the process. Your GRE report will give away where else you sent your scores, as will the inevitable typos in the statement in which you refer to the wrong department, professor, or museum name.

When I talked to profs about applications, it sounds like this information should never be used against you. They just want to know how likely you are to accept their offer so they know how many offers to give out. For example, if a strong candidate applies to Average-School-X but also lists High-Ranking-School-Y and High-Ranking-School-Z, then Average-School-X might decide that it's likely that the candidate will accept somewhere else so they might increase their offer list by one. Of course, it's probably some ratio thing, like if they have 4 candidates where they think only have a 50% chance of actually accepting, they might either offer 1 or 2 more spots, or increase their waitlist size by 1 or 2 more spots, etc.

From what I've heard, this information isn't used against you -- that is, Average-School-X isn't going to reject a strong student just because they've applied to Y and Z. That doesn't make much sense because schools want strong students and they would be happy to convince one to go to X instead of Y or Z! In addition, if you are a strong student and they see that you are considering other schools, they might be more competitive in trying to "woo" you.

If you aren't a strong student, then the above still applies (in that it could help you but never hurt you). The people I've talked to generally say that they don't mind it that much if you don't disclose this information, it's just nice for them to have. Of course, they'd like it/appreciate it if you tell them, just like they'd like it if you respond before April 15th, but if you don't, it's not going to swing your decision either way.

You should also be prepared to answer this question (either truthfully or deflect it) in person if you get an interview or while visiting the school, by the way!

Ok, thanks everybody, I appreciate the input. I guess what I was afraid of is the possibility that a "lesser" school might worry that the person would turn down an offer of admission because of applications to "better" schools, and therefore decide not to offer it. I don't want to quantify schools, since the ones I'm applying to are more of less ranked equally in my mind for what I want to study-- but don't want to scare any schools into thinking I wouldn't accept, since I don't really know where I'll have the possibility to be admitted. Pretty sure I'm over thinking this!

It's just as likely that the "lesser" school will see the higher-ranked school(s) as a gauntlet thrown down and want to compete for the applicant, or on the other hand say "s/he'll never get in there, so we have a chance" etc. Don't try to second-guess the minds of admissions committees (beyond a certain necessary point)—you will go crazy.

I have been speaking by phone with all of my POIs (7 of 9 so far) and most of them have asked where else I'm applying. A couple have recommended other programs that I have overlooked, not in a "don't come here" way, but trying to be helpful. So I think not only is that question unavoidable during interviews or other phone contact, it may work in your favor to divulge the info.

On a related note, when/if you are talking to profs at your home institutions, or former advisors, for advice on grad school applications, you might tell them your top X schools/programs. They will likely also ask "Where else are you applying?". I think it's a good idea to not interpret this question as them thinking you're not good enough for the schools you mentioned. More often than not, they just want to help you find the best fit for you, so they want to ensure you've considered as many options as possible. They might even know some other good programs that you didn't mention/think about!