MFA non fiction

Dff

Hi! Is there anyone out there in a nonfiction MFA? I just want to get a bit more information about them, is it too hard to get in? I can't find much information about these programs.Are they very uncommon? What can you tell me about nonfiction in general?

Any info would be appreciated :)

• 3 months later...

There are programs listed in the Nonfiction column here: http://www.pw.org/files/topfifty_secured.pdf

I believe Minnesota, WUSTL, Iowa (only partial), and NC Wilmington have some sort of funding (also maybe New Hampshire).

They are actually easier to get into than either poetry or fiction (less people know about Nonfiction, and it is a growing discipline .. so the job prospects are better, to a degree... especially if you attend a multi-genre program like Minnesota and branch out into Fiction and Poetry). I think some programs get 60 nonfiction applications, while they get 300 in fiction (or something like that).

If you're looking for examples of nonfiction writing, you might want to check out John D'Agata's Next American Essay anthology, Best American Essays, the Philip Lopate anthology, etc. (check out Amazon recommended books and branch out from there).  

There are a ton of programs, actually, and they're becoming more common.

Fully-funded MFAs that offer nonfiction as a genre include:

Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL)*

The Ohio State University* (OSU)

University of Minnesota*

University of Wyoming*

Iowa State University

University of New Mexico (UNM)

University of Houston (UH)

University of South Carolina

Oregon State University

* These four programs probably have the best faculty + funding scenario, and I'd focus search here, with a few others from this list.

There's also some funding available at these programs, though not everyone is funded:

University of Iowa Nonfiction Writers Program (separate from the Iowa Writers Workshop, which only offers fiction and poetry)

West Virginia University

University of Arizona

Georgia College & State University

Florida International University

UNC Wilmington

Hollins University

University of Idaho

University of Montana

University of Memphis

University of Pittsburgh

Columbia University (though it's so ridiculously expensive--and no one gets full-funding--that I'm not sure it's worth even applying)

Rutgers University--Newark

University of Alaska--Fairbanks

University of South Florida (USF)

• 2 months later...