Multiple GRE scores--take best or average?

fortiesgirl

I should preface this by stating that I have NEVER done well in standardized tests. I took the GRE in 2005 and earned pretty pitiful scores--both verbal and math were in the 500s and aw was a 5. I retook the GRE again after having taken two rounds of Kaplan and did even worse-verbal was in the 500s and math sunk to the 400s. You'd think that someone who can work in multiple languages would be able to score well on the verbal section, well, not in my case. I believe I tend to just "over-think" the questions. I had to retake it to redeem myself if I had any hope of getting into a doctoral program--I got v:670 q: 620 aw 5.

Okay, here's my question...I have excellent grades, a Master's in a relevant discipline, language fluency, research experience, and relevant work experience (teaching college level). Is my history of poor GRE scores going to screw my chances of admission, or will my final GRE score redeem me? I know it's not the greatest, but I'm not shooting for the Ivies. The two programs in which I am most interested require scores in the ballpark of 1150-1250. Do most schools take the best score, or do they take the average of the scores when evaluating a candidate?

I've seen a similar question being posed on one other discussion forum I frequent. The answer given there was that they would take an average but I'm not sure if its protocol to do so and one that's followed by all schools. I hope they look at your final score and give you credit for your improvement.. good luck! Somebody else might be able to give you a more accurate answer, I just posted what I saw elsewhere, so I'm not sure if this is accurate.

I think the best bet is to just ask each individual program. I know I read on one program's website that if you took it more than once, the program looks at the scores holistically. So, good luck, I'm sure it'll be fine for them to accept your latest scores (unless they're jerks).

dont they still see all of your scores? so by saying which one they "take", they really mean which one they apply when making initial cuts based on numbers, i'm assuming. but after that, whats to stop them from taking all your scores into account when deciding admittance? if they are all printed on the same page and can clearly see either zero improvement or minimal improvement, surely that means something to them?

frankdux, I get what you're saying and the answer is yes, they do see all the scores. I lucked out on a few schools because for my final and best score, ets (for odd some reason) did not combine the accounts at first so for a few programs to which I applied they will only see the best scores. Not sure why or how this happened but it only worked in my favor. The other schools will see all three, the two dismal ones included. My score improved overall by over three hundred points, and my verbal went up by almost two hundred. If a committee is not going to take certain factors into consideration given the rest of my record, then there's really nothing else I can do at this point but hope for the best.