Gender and Politics - any recommendations!

theapolsci

Hi Grad Cafe!

I've long found the posts on this forum super useful in thinking and preparing about applying (thanks y'all!), and I have a question for which I've not yet found an answer on here. I'm intending to apply for political science PhD programmes, and my main area of interest in gender and politics (women as both voters and politicians, and the discourse and politics surrounding "women's issue"). I'm also somewhat interesting in other aspects of identity and politics (such as race, diaspora, and possibly nationalism). As such, I'm looking for departments that fit these interests. I'm also hoping to go to at least a top 30 ranked school. I'm obviously currently doing a lot of research into which schools are likely to fit my interests well, but I wondered if anyone was able to offer any helpful tips for places that might be good in this area? Would be incredibly grateful if anyone was able to point me in the right direction.

Many thanks.

Thea

Can't help much, but I know of gender scholars in American, Comp, and IR, so it might help to know which subfield you would like to focus in, because even if you think gender issues cut across the subfields, most departments will want you to be in at least one nominally.

I know the University of Minnesota has a number of scholars in this area: Joe Soss, Dara Strolovitch, Kathryn Pearson, and Kathryn Sikkink. The first three are all american politics and Kathryn Sikkink is really big in international and comparative studies. It might be worth looking into, but I am not an expert in this field.