2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

anyone hear from MIT-EAPS??? 

I think most acceptances are out. The open house date has been set for the third week of March and meeting schedules are being set up right now based on prospectives' interests. I'd encourage you to directly contact the administration office if you need a difinitive answer.

I think most acceptances are out. The open house date has been set for the third week of March and meeting schedules are being set up right now based on prospectives' interests. I'd encourage you to directly contact the administration office if you need a difinitive answer.

Hi Usmivka thank you very much for this information. I will contact them.

I know some students in China received offer  on Feb 20. On the same day, i received a letter from eapsinfo@mit , notifying as follows

Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences is in the process of evaluating the applications received for our graduate programs. Decisions on all applications wlll be made by March 15, 2013. Our process involves consultation among a number of individuals and committees before a recommendation is sent to the Admissions Committee. Notification is sent out to the applicant as soon as a decision is reached.

So I don't know its meaning. Maybe they have made the decisions on that day and just inform me? just put me on the waitinglist or some others?

okay, this is going to sound desperate...(and yes, at this point, I am) just saw someone posting about Columbia...

Did anyone else in climate/atmosphere hear back from them?

okay, this is going to sound desperate...(and yes, at this point, I am) just saw someone posting about Columbia...

Did anyone else in climate/atmosphere hear back from them?

I haven't heard from Columbia either... and I"m getting extremely antsy too.

Has anyone heard from Scripps institution of Oceanography? Or Boston University? I swear, my anxiety level is at an all-time high... and it's only going to get worse the longer they wait to tell me.

Has anyone heard from Scripps institution of Oceanography? Or Boston University? I swear, my anxiety level is at an all-time high... and it's only going to get worse the longer they wait to tell me.

I hadn't officially heard back from Scripps, so I emailed my POI and then got my official acceptance the same day. When I interviewed I was told that they tend to take a long time to make their decisions, and to get in touch if I hadn't heard and had other schools waiting on my decision. I didn't apply to Chemistry, though, and I have no idea if that applies to all departments. 

actually I heard back from SIO in January(my very first offer), and was invited&went to their Open House at the end of February..... um...but I heard they're still making more decisions? not sure... 

actually I heard back from SIO in January(my very first offer), and was invited&went to their Open House at the end of February..... um...but I heard they're still making more decisions? not sure... 

Yeah, I heard back unofficially in early February, and thought it was weird that I didn't get formally admitted in time for the open house. They seem somewhat different from the other programs I've applied to in terms of course requirements, etc., so who knows how they do their admissions. 

I'm PM-ing you for details about your POI. :)

Waiting for Columbia +1 ...

I received the offer of Scripps on 30th Jan, but I'm pretty sure that they've not finalized their decisions as one of my classmates is still on the waiting list. You might wanna try contacting the graduate coordinator and your POIs, which should provide some useful info.

Good luck!

I contacted Scripps, and apparently my application is on hold pending the announcement of this year's NSF fellowship. I really really really hope I get good news soon... but I won't get my hopes up, since I don't want to be disappointed if & when they say no.

I contacted Scripps, and apparently my application is on hold pending the announcement of this year's NSF fellowship. I really really really hope I get good news soon... but I won't get my hopes up, since I don't want to be disappointed if & when they say no.

I hope you'd get in!!!! 

UT Austin, you made me exhausted eventually...! 

why are they waiting for to report the decisions? !  

:blink:  :huh:  :ph34r:  :huh:

UT Austin is killing me!  They say they don't have a good picture f their funding in marine yet so they don't know how many they can accept.  ARGHHHHH!

since I've asked twice about Columbia EES... I should probably update it: I received my offer on Friday :)

Congratulations!!! I applied too but was sadly rejected ... can't help being jealous ... T_T

Well, I wrote to the admission secretary of one of the universities. She told me they have a process where faculty review a spreadsheet with information of all applicants. Then they make a list of student they would like to be reviewed by the comitee. Neither of the advisors I indicated in my application put me on such a list.

Also she said that if I want to be considered for the May 1st deadline I should contact others possible advisors immediately. Really? In others words, a very sophisticated way to say "you are rejected".

Finally, admitted into one program (UT-Austin) after rejections from Stanford, Duke, and Wisconsin.  I'm so excited.  Good luck to all of you, especially Geopergin.  I know how frustrating it was to wait for UT, but as in my case, they are still admitting folks.  I hope to see you in Austin. 

Any other future longhorns out there?