Dual program SOP- what to include? discuss bad semester? scores?

dcare

I am applying to a dual program in public health and anthropology and I'm not sure of few things to mention in my SOP. For one, I think my GPA is low (3.26) I had a bad semester because of undiagnosed Celiacs that caused a host of problems, and unmedicated ADHD. Should I mention this briefly. or maybe mention the fact that I was taking 22 credits each semester while working 4 jobs and being a single parent? Also, since I am applying for a dual program should I mention in the SOP for the Bio-cultural medical anthropology program the relevance to the MPH program? My undergraduate is in Exercise science, so I have no relevant coursework, nor have I had any research opportunities to discuss in my SOP. I also have no idea what area of research I want to pursue in graduate school. I am really lost on what I should include. Everything I read puts heavy importance on work experience and research, and I have none of that. Thank you for any advice.

I had undiagnosed ADHD, and a worse GPA then you (3.1) but great grades after I was diagnosed....I shaped my whole personal statement around my ADHD. and it was the best choice I ever made. I had a professor at my undergrad tell me i whatt I (and I am sure you did too) with an undiagnosed disability is really impressive, is something I should be proud off. Anyways I would give you more detials I just don't have the time right now, but I think it would be a mistake to not mention ADHD.....if you want to PM to hear more please feel free

I was in a similar situation -- dual concentrations, one bad semester related to ADHD followed by a semester on LOA (I had a bad reaction to a new ADHD medication and then a bad reaction to going off it). What I did was write the bulk of my essay on the concentration that I want to make a career of, add one paragraph on why I'm interested in the second concentration and my related experience, and emphasize in the "Why do you want to go to this school?" paragraph that the opportunity to study both of those things in one program is one of the reasons that I felt that school would be a perfect fit for me. I discussed some of the nonacademic experience I had in the fields as well as topics I was especially interested in, even if I didn't have research experience in them. I added a second letter to my packet explaining that I had one bad semester due to health issues and took the following semester to recover. I didn't address specifics because I wanted to save space in my SOP for information relevant to the field and school. I knew I couldn't give specifics without making it an entire paragraph and I wanted my entire essay to be positive and relevant to the issue at hand (why I would be a good match for this program and vice versa). The semester I addressed, my GPA was 1.8 -- definitely requiring an explanation. The rest of my GPA wasn't amazing, and yes, I would have had higher grades if I didn't have ADHD and yes I have developed organizational skills as an adult that I was simply too overwhelmed to work on as an undergrad, but my overall GPA was above the cutoff and my last year was great so I didn't try to make excuses about that. I was just informed that I was recommended for admission so my strategy must have worked :)

Edited by kateausten