Graduate School Options...

Elisia

I want to get my MA in Museum Studies, but I am having issues finding the best programs and schools...does anyone know of a good site or something that give ratings on graduate programs and what to really look for in terms of what is a "good" programs vs a "bad" one? I have talked to many of my advisors, but they really aren't that much help when you are looking for a place out of state (I am currently pursuing my BA in upstate NY).

I was having the same issues with finding a public health program, and honestly, the best program is going to be the one that is going to help you reach your career goals the best way possible. Once you decide what you want from the program and what exactly you want to do ( I don't know if there is a broad range of career options with museum studies, I'm going based on what I'm looking for) then you will be able to research programs that are going to be in line with your goals and interests. Good luck!

I don't know of any list of Museum Studies programs, but I know that UCL and Cambridge are both good UK schools, and I suspect there are others in the UK. In the US, I think GW's program is pretty well regarded.

But definitely do think about just what you want to get out of a program and see whether programs will work for you. Y

Something to look at (or ask about) is where graduates from the program have ended up. Do they get jobs is basically what you want to know. They won't give you names, most likely, but the DGS should be able to give you some institutions where grads work or have worked after graduation. Also, for museum studies, I would think you'd want the program to be affiliated with a museum and have success in placing students in internships. I'm applying for art history PhD programs, but I'm looking to go the curatorial track, so these are things I'm looking at, and I've been able to get answers from all the programs I'm applying to. For museum work, practical training and experience seem to account for more than school prestige (especially at the MA level), so I would focus on programs near museums you would be interested in working at and then find out if there are connections between the two.