UT-Knoxville

Paloma

I'm currently in the process of applying to masters programs, and my number one school is University of Tennessee at Knoxville. If any of you know anything about that program, you've probably already guessed that my interests are forensics and taphonomy.

However, I don't know if I stand a chance of getting in, or even getting funding. I feel like I have a strong application, but a couple things are bothering me. I'll be graduating with two degrees in the spring (one in anthropology, the other in Spanish), I have a 4.0 GPA for my anthropology courses and a 3.7 overall. My GRE was a 308 (or 1130 on the old scale), verbal 159 and quantitative 149. My writing score was low (4.5). I've done a bit of independent research on how freezing effects the appearance of trauma on bones, and I'll be sending that project in as my writing sample. I'm also getting inducted into Lambda Alpha this spring.

My main concerns are that I haven't been involved in anything. I've been very invested in one particular RSO since my freshman year, and have neglected to do anything with Anthro Club or anything of that sort. So, my extra-curriculars in regard to anthropology are pretty much non-existant. My other concern is that, while I do have a good GPA, the university I currently attend isn't on par with UTK. It's a rather large, research based public university in Illinois (not U of I, unfortunately), but it's not known for its academics.

How much do you think my lack of extra-curriculars and my undergrad institution will affect my chances of getting in and/or getting funding?

I don't think extra-curriculars are important at all. Stuff like Anthropology Club is just resume filler honestly. Professors are looking for students with the potential to become scholars in the discipline and that is best demonstrated through your grades, your recommendations, your research, your presentations, and your writing sample.

• 5 months later...

I don't think extra-curriculars are important at all. Stuff like Anthropology Club is just resume filler honestly. Professors are looking for students with the potential to become scholars in the discipline and that is best demonstrated through your grades, your recommendations, your research, your presentations, and your writing sample.

I concur. Anthro club was was fun but took time away from research related work. As an officer it took a lot of my time, though it went toward good things like organizing events and arranging guest lectures.

Make sure clubs don't take time away from original research, field experiences and presenting at conferences.

Edited by fuzzylogician
Edited for privacy at request of poster.