GRE Averages Inflation

kaister

I was talking with my advisor the other day and she was explaining that sometimes their GRE averages for admissions were sometimes inflated because there is one superstar in the faculty that attracts a lot of applicants because that prof is pretty famous for the work in their field. So for the prof, they sometimes use cutoffs to sort through the applications. It's kind of reassuring for me, since I'm applying to that program (to work with my advisor) so it's nice to know the averages may not really be that limiting. I thought you all would like to know that, it might help you guys interpret other programs' averages. I personally never knew that there was this "all-star" in the faculty, so it might be interesting to look and see for the programs you all are applying to if there are any factors, as such, that may be influencing the amount of applicants and their averages.

I just made a whole topic concerning this... that yeah, my GRE passes the min. requirement but is below the average GRE scores for the school, and this is really nice to hear haha. Thanks a lot!

Wait, you mean to tell me that these universities keep GRE scores in their stats even if they didn't accept that student?

That's total BS. They should only include scores of admitted students IMO.

Oh no...I meant that since this one prof gets a lot of applicants they're only going to accept the cream of the crop, therefore inflating the averages. Sorry if that was unclear.