SOP Specifics

Just how specific are people being their SOP's? I know there's already a lot of talk out there about this, but I was wondering if anyone wanted to share their thoughts on just what constitutes "too specific" to them, and how they're approaches this in with their SOP's?

My question stems from this: I already have a pretty clear idea of what I would like to do my dissertation on, and I want to explain it in my SOP. But I'm really worried that it's just TOO specific. I already have a MA which makes me think I should be more specific than someone with only a BA.

I've written two different SOP's with bulk body paragraphs: One talks in-depth about what I want to do on the next level, and one talks more about what I've already done and how this influences the multiple questions I want to answer. I think the first one is strong because it focuses on one thing, and demonstrates how much I already know about it, but I do worry it comes off as way too wordy. Like, the adcoms don't care step-by-step what I want to do on the next level. The second one I think is strong because it offers a wide array of interesting ideas, but I worry it comes off as too fleeting and not specific enough.

Okay, so my question really is do we think it better to come off as very narrow-sighted with our future projects or do we think it's better to come off as broader and more open to ideas? Or does it matter?

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this issue?

I would say broader is better. Either way, they're not going to hold you to the stuff in your SoP; from what I understand they expect you to change your mind (as much as you think you won't). I would stay clear of mentioning specific authors, unless they're ones with huge oeuvres like Shakespeare or Woolf.

I also have my MA, but I'm mentioning things I learned from my MA and how it's changed my perspective.

I think it's all very personal, but I would steer clear of TOO specific. You don't want to seem rigid and unwelcoming to new ideas.

My two cents.

seconded.

though i would be specific about the programs/centers/courses/&c offered at each specific institution to which you apply that interest you & why. show AdComm you've done your homework & explain how you're a good fit.

The problem I have come across is the difference in what each institution is looking for. I've written SOPs that they only wanted 1 page (I mean come on, what can you really tell about someone from 1 page?). I've written SOPs that were open ended, with absolutely no guidance on what to write about. Then I've written ones that asked specific questions. But my least favorite was the 1 page that asked you to adress 3 different questions. A different school asked for 5 pages on the same 3 questions!

I think if you say that your GOAL is to write a dissertation on... you would be better off than simply stating that you WANT to write it on because blah blah blah. Does that make sense?

I know my friend working on her PhD in Clinical Psych knew going in what she wanted to write her dissertation on.

I would, personally, avoid strong, specific declaratives such as: "at the doctoral level, I will study the temporal and geographical dimensions of gender in the work of Virginia Woolf with a specific focus on Orlando" and would err more on the side of conditional language: "I am interested in trauma and temporality in modernist literature and would like to look at post-WWI poetry like maybe Eliot or whatever." I don't necessarily think that mentioning specifics is itself the problem. Like so much of (my perspective on) the SOP, I think it comes down to tone: do you sound like you're open to further mentorship here? You're applying to be a student, not a colleague and, though you may already know a lot about time in the 20th century, you want your SOP to perform a willingness to be taught further (without giving any ground on what you already know). Without having read your two versions, I would guess that smooshing them together might be fruitful. (I would be wary of step-by-step accounts of what's next though.)

Sorry for making up research interests for you.

I noticed the Duke website has a great section about the SOP, so I've copied it here:

17. What sorts of things are you looking for in the Statement of Purpose that is part of the Graduate School application? How important is this part of the application?

The Statement of Purpose is the place where you can speak in a direct, personal voice about your reasons for wanting to engage in doctoral study in English. The Personal Statement and Writing Sample are by far the most important parts of your application, and the parts over which you have most control. We recommend that you show your Personal Statement to the people who are writing letters for you, and to others whose opinion you value: this is a difficult genre to get just right, and other eyes will be a great help. Having read your statement will also help your recommenders to write better letters.

Pay attention to style and tone. While we might expect complex language and lengthy sentences in your Writing Sample, in your Personal Statement you should strive to describe your interests using shorter sentences and ordinary language. In terms of tone, try to avoid both arrogance and false humility. Showing your Personal Statement to other readers will help with both these issues.

Keep your audience in mind. Remember that you're speaking to people who are spending their lives in the field where you hope to study. You don't need to justify your interests for this audience in the way you might for friends or family. Instead, try to be as specific and detailed as possible about the things that you love studying and want to pursue further. Convey your enthusiasm as vividly as you can, but don't waste space justifying it.

Work for depth and focus, not a biography or a list. It is rarely effective to list all the courses where you've excelled, to attempt to provide a full intellectual biography, or to provide lengthy lists of theorists or literary writers who interest you. Instead, be selective (see below) and work for depth and focus. We'd really like to see you pursue and develop an idea, or a small cluster of related ideas, with all the depth and complexity possible within such a short statement. The rest of your application can do the work of telling us about your accomplishments and recounting your intellectual career thus far.

Keep one eye on the future. Talk not just about what you've already done and thought, but about what you hope to do next. What ideas do you want to pursue further, and how? Any specific ideas you might have about how you might do this at Duke are definitely worth mentioning : do you want to work with particular faculty members? engage in some specific kind of interdisciplinary work that would be easy to do here? etc.

If appropriate, explain possible concerns without being defensive. If your GREs or GPA are unusually low, or if your undergraduate record has some unusual aspect, then you might, at your discretion, want to include some brief acknowledgement, and possibly explanation, that could work to allay concerns about your future success that these features of your application might raise. You don't need to defend yourself: people are not machines, and plenty of successful people have blips in their official records. But a brief acknowledgement, usually appearing close to some statement of your future plans and goals, may be useful.

Keep it short. Remember that your audience may be reading more than 400 of these statements. Don't go beyond two pages, and in setting font, margins, and spacing, please ensure that your statement remains easy to read.

I met with a professor at an Ivy who has sat on grad ad-coms, and he said that the biggest mistake he saw (especially from students who already have an MA) is treating the SoP like a research proposal instead of a statement of academic philosophy. So be specific about your current interests, but not about your research/writing plans.

Also, that info from Duke is awesome.

My professor-mentor through the application process this year has more or less echoed what others have already said here: if you are too specific, you risk appearing as though you feel you have nothing more to learn. In that case, why should you be accepted into a program whose purpose is to teach you something?

This is all great advice -- thanks everyone for responding!

And that's what I was afraid of... I'm currently trying to find a "balance" between the two. It's hard to do though in, like, 500 words!

I met with a professor at an Ivy who has sat on grad ad-coms, and he said that the biggest mistake he saw (especially from students who already have an MA) is treating the SoP like a research proposal instead of a statement of academic philosophy. So be specific about your current interests, but not about your research/writing plans.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of -- my SOP that specifically talks about what I want to do sounds too much like a topic proposal. It's a very difficult thing to figure out because I want them to know all the work I've done so far, and what I've already conceived. BUT I'm really afraid of coming as arrogant and like I have nothing to learn. It's so hard to balance the two!

Here's another question while I have everyone here: I'm worried about taking the other route and seems too brief with what I discuss. How are people tackling this issue? I absolutely do not mean this to sound in anyway demeaning to anything, but in the SOP rough drafts where I've written about different course work I've done and different questions I've tackled, my reaction while reading them over is always "So what?" I'm worried that I'm coming as too "bland" or too "generic" or, really, I think the way to put it is sounding too much like everyone else. How are you guys going about this issue? How "specific" are you getting with your work, and when do you think it becomes too specific or too bland?

That was a loaded set of questions -- sorry for that! But does anyone have any ideas about how to tackle these ideas?

Yeah, I've been half-assed working on this thing for 2 years and I'm nowhere near finished. I did some solid work for about 4 hours last night and I have ONE paragraph that I'm happy with. And about 5 really shitty ones. I'm worried that the "good" paragraph might be too personal... but the no-nonsense academic stuff just sounds so stuffy and boring and generic. I totally feel your pain.

SOP why u no easy to write?!?

rems: I have nothing to add to this conversation... I just wanted to say that Leslie Knope makes me very very happy.

Thanks! I saw this picture on tumblr, and thought immediately "That's how I feel about apps!" So I decided it was time, FINALLY, to have a picture on here. Leslie gives me hope in such dire times!

Yeah, I've been half-assed working on this thing for 2 years and I'm nowhere near finished. I did some solid work for about 4 hours last night and I have ONE paragraph that I'm happy with. And about 5 really shitty ones. I'm worried that the "good" paragraph might be too personal... but the no-nonsense academic stuff just sounds so stuffy and boring and generic. I totally feel your pain.

SOP why u no easy to write?!?

THIS EXACTLY. I'm also worried about my opening paragraph being too personal -- where do we draw the line? (What line?)

So far I have this outline:

p1: mind-blowing introduction

p2: past intellectual pursuits

p3: present projects

p4: future goals: why X is so great

p5: fit and focus/awesome conclusion

... and an SoP that does not live up to it at all. I keep wanting to bang my head on my desk and yell, "WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM MEEEEEE?"

So far I have this outline:

p1: mind-blowing introduction

p2: past intellectual pursuits

p3: present projects

p4: future goals: why X is so great

p5: fit and focus/awesome conclusion

... and an SoP that does not live up to it at all. I keep wanting to bang my head on my desk and yell, "WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM MEEEEEE?"

Isn't that a little lengthy?...

I think length and what to talk about is a case-by-case thing. Some schools call for 1-3 pages, and some call for 500 words. The ones that let me write 3 pages are gonna get 3 pages all of which will be significantly trimmed down for a 500 word-er.

That's kinda where my original question came from: In 500 words, how am I supposed to address past intellectual pursuits while equally addressing future intellectual pursuits AND fit?

ONE MORE BC I CAN'T SHUT UP ABOUT IT: When writing about the future, do we need to "promote" our study? Like I think this is relevant because of x,y, z? How do we balance that and not sound like we're bragging? OR should we be bragging?

ONE MORE BC I CAN'T SHUT UP ABOUT IT: When writing about the future, do we need to "promote" our study? Like I think this is relevant because of x,y, z? How do we balance that and not sound like we're bragging? OR should we be bragging?

My intuition is no. I don't think you need to validate literary study to literary scholars. Be confident, be straightforward, don't sound defensive. I think.

My intuition is no. I don't think you need to validate literary study to literary scholars. Be confident, be straightforward, don't sound defensive. I think.

Agreed. Your readers will definitely agree that your work is relevant, no need to use valuable space on this. When writing about the future, I think what you want to do is focus on your scholastic and professional plans, showing them that you have potential to bring recognition to the program. <-- My best guess :)

Hmm, but then SUNY Buffalo says this:

"Explain to the committee the reasons for your choice of field. Why pursue your intellectual interests at a graduate level? Give us a sense of the questions that you will ask and why they are important." (Italics mine.)

Hmm, but then SUNY Buffalo says this:

"Explain to the committee the reasons for your choice of field. Why pursue your intellectual interests at a graduate level? Give us a sense of the questions that you will ask and why they are important." (Italics mine.)

I'm reading the emphasis on this to be on the first two-thirds. Not so much why the questions are worth asking (in other words: a defense of the discipline) but why they necessitate a doctoral program (in this specific discipline). I'm not so much advocating ignoring the question of importance but noting that some of us are inclined to be somewhat apologetic (or, on the other side of the coin, overly defensive) in the statement of interests. And as often as I read statements like Buffalo's, I read others that stress that this is not a dissertation prospectus.

The trick, and I think this is reflected in the varying reports from Duke vs. SUNY Buffalo, is to find that gray area that is neither too specific nor too general. An SOP too specific could pin you to a corner, particularly if you come as being so specific that the program feels like they might not be able to support your interests. On the other hand, being too general might suggest you haven't thought very seriously about these issues, and you might come off as naive, or, worse, unprepared for graduate-level study.

Follow the guidelines the schools are giving. If Buffalo wants you to talk about the importance of your research questions (which, by the way, I read as meaning why they are important for the discipline, not why they are important for your family/friends, etc., which is more in line with Duke's suggestions), talk about the importance of your research questions. If one school wants 500 words, send them 500 words. If another school wants 2-3 pages, send them 2-3 pages. If a school doesn't have specific guidelines, send them your best statement of purpose (whatever best means...).

Good luck everyone! It's over soon! Then you can rejoice getting your applications submitted by perusing Grad Cafe results boards 23 hours a day! (Definitely how I celebrated...) B)

Edited by Stately Plump

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finding this subset of nonfiction to be extreamly frustrating to write.

I guess I wonder at what point will the application go over a certain threshold and become more like a research proposal, than a statement of purpose by a prospective graduate student with specific research interests. Is it not okay to have a specific thing that one is interested in reasearching? I do have that, although I also have a bunch of other, related interests. I'm on the third of forth draft (I just started day before yesterday); I hope I get it somewhere within the spectrum of "acceptable" before I have to start sending it around.

Hey, if anyone's around I could use some SOP advice. I'm in the process of finalizing my first app, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to say that I would chop off my own foot for an acceptance to this school without sounding like a sycophantic lunatic. Thoughts?