How can I build a competitive application?

Hi Everyone,

I'd be really grateful if any of you could give me some advice on my situation. I graduated in '09 with a degree in Foreign Affairs. I got really frustrated when I couldn't find a job soon after I graduated, so I went abroad. I spent 2 years in Cairo teaching English and I'm now in my second year in Shanghai working as a homeroom teacher at an international school. Next month I'll have completed a distance certification program in K-6 education, but I think that was a mistake. Teaching the same things over and over again is making my brain leak out of my head and I can't do another year of it!

Everyone I've talked to has said that if I want to break into foreign affairs I have to go back to graduate school, but I don't think I'm a competitive candidate. I'd only want to go to a school in the D.C. area (most accessible to internships, and it's where I'd want to work), but all of the schools seem to look for candidates with relevant work experience. That's what I don't understand- if I had relevant work experience I wouldn't feel pressed to go to graduate school because I'd already have a job in the field I'm interested in!

So what can I do over the next 1-3 years to become a better candidate? I'm considering taking a year to do the Huayu Enrichment Program in Taiwan to become more proficient at Mandarin. I think it would be better to get some work experience, but where do I look for entry level jobs?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what schools you're looking at, but 2 years in Cairo and 2 in China at least give you significant experience living and working overseas. I would assume that to be relevant work experience. Just because you're not a foreign affairs analyst doesnt disqualify you.

I've seen several programs state that time spent in the Peace Corps is highly desirable. And I've never been in the Peace Corps but from what I gather its at least similar to teaching english in a foreign country. In fact the Peace Corps has a Masters International program where you can attend school while you volunteer with the Peace Corps. I don't know all the details, but just google "masters international peace corps." There are over 80 member academic institutions that participate.

American University in Washington is a member institution and has a program in their School of International Service, leading to an M.A. in international affairs. Also American University has a TESOL program where you can earn an M.A. in TESOL. To me this is further evidence that 4 years of teaching english in a foreign country is considered to be desirable by admission commitees and would make you competitive in the application process.

Thanks for the props. I have heard of the Peace Corps/Masters program at American University, but given my only experience is in esl I'd probably get a placement teaching and that's exactly what I want to get away from. I'm sure I could get accepted to do a Masters in TEFL, but I want to change fields completely. So I'm wondering what I can do in the next year or two to show how serious I am. Like I said, I'd like to find an entry level job to get some experience, but even for entry level it seems like people want a Masters degree or relevant work experience. That's why I got into teaching in the first place, so now I feel like I'm back at square one :D I've been looking at Idealist.com, any other ideas of where I could look?

I know all of the schools in D.C. have pretty solid reputations. Georgetown is my first choice, but I think it's a long shot. I also want to apply to American and GW. My undergrad gpa was pretty good and I'm planning to study my butt off for the gre. I'm just worried that when these schools look at my history, they'll realize I've basically been little more than a babysiter for the past four years.

I know a university in northern Somalia that is looking for teachers, and they help place teachers with (unpaid) positions at various ministries to work in their off time. I taught there and worked at the ministry of planning. If you're looking for a one year resume builder this may be it. It only pays $250/month but all flight and living expenses are covered and it's an interesting place to work. Message me your email address if you're interested.

Thanks Imhotep, I just messaged you. Might be a possibility. If anyone else has ideas I'd love to hear them. Any placement agencies you know of? I found this organization the other day that posts related internships http://www.internationalpeaceandconflict.org/. The only problem is I've been out of school for a while, and while I'd be perfectly willing to do an internship to get the experience, most are unpaid and will only accept current students.

Also, am I going about this in the right way? Do these D.C. schools care more about work experience, languages, or is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks Imhotep, I just messaged you. Might be a possibility. If anyone else has ideas I'd love to hear them. Any placement agencies you know of? I found this organization the other day that posts related internships http://www.internationalpeaceandconflict.org/. The only problem is I've been out of school for a while, and while I'd be perfectly willing to do an internship to get the experience, most are unpaid and will only accept current students.

Also, am I going about this in the right way? Do these D.C. schools care more about work experience, languages, or is there something else I should be doing?

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds to me like you have some relevant work experience. It's all about how you tell your story. What experience have you gained that will help you in a career of Foreign Service? How can you apply your background to add something to the program and to the others students? I think you could probably be a competitive candidate for many master's programs, assuming you have a good undergraduate record and can get decent GRE scores. I wouldn't sell yourself short.

Yes, although you might be less competitive than someone who would have the same profile but with working experiences more focused on practical work (cooperation, NGOs, research...) your experience is definitely not a bad one. I can think of many European and American friends of mine who, once the got their degrees in development studies or something related, didn't find anything and went for other "normal" jobs. You have definitely showed a sense of adaptability / intercultural skills / language knowledge with your background, so don´t worry!

I would recommend to avoid using the internet for your search or at least avoid job offers: it is usually way more efficient to identify what kind of structure you want to work in, what kind of interest drives you, and where. Once you've done that, use the internet just to look for those who work on these issues. Then, whenever possible, try to find personal emails (not generic - office email) and get in touch with them. It is even better if you´re already "in the field": you can then use all your social skills to talk with people and see if there's anything for you out there.

Jut my 2 cent. Good luck!