GRE 313, 4.5 | ACADS 60% | WHAT TO DO?

iamagoodboy2003

Hi all!

I'm a student from India, currently pursuing a Bachelor of Engineering degree in Information Technology. I'm looking to pursue a Master's degree in Computer Science, hopefully beginning Fall 2013. I took the GRE this month, and here are my scores: 313 (V155, Q158), AWA 4.5.

Coming to my acads, here, in my University, we are given marks for each course, and not a GPA or a CGPA. According to that, my aggregate until the end of third year (sixth sem) is 60%. I'm not sure how grad schools convert this to GPA either, so any help here would be appreciated too. I have two more semesters left, and can increase my final aggregate to maybe 61-62 at the most.

I don't have any major extra curriculars, apart from participating in a few workshops related to our coursework. In addition, I have a considerable amount of backlogs (a backlog in my country is a course you failed to clear in the first attempt, and had to retake it; each retake is considered a backlog). I have 22 of them. I know it's pathetic.

So my questions on the whole are:

1. Should I even apply for MS?

2. Is my profile good enough to apply?

3. If no to the above, what can I do to improve?

4. I've got suggestions from people to apply to the following univs, and that these might be safe for my profile:

Univ of New Orleans

Univ of Houston, Clear Lake

Univ of Texas, Tyler

Univ of Texas, Arlington

I'll be very grateful if anyone can help me out. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Ramesh

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am not a student of Comp Sci, but if I were you, I would firstly go through the requirements on department webpages, and look at the International equivalents to the US degrees. After that I would apply...

If you have time to retake the GRE, try to increase both the scores to 160's.