listing achievements that won't show up on transcript or LORs?

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Guest Gnome Chomsky

This question could probably fit into the SOP and LOR category. I was curious about how to go about listing extracurricular college achievements that won't show up on your transcripts or LORs. Here is what I mean: I'll be applying for a PhD in general linguistics straight from my undergrad program. Now, I got my associate's at a community (that became a state) college before transferring to my current university to get my bachelor's (in linguistics). I was very active at my community college, and not so much at my university (mainly because my university didn't have a linguistics club or any linguistics activities). I did do very well at my university in my classes (graduating with a 4.0 and good relationships with professors) but I want to mention my activeness at my community college because, aside from a great GPA, I didn't do anything very impressive, like research, internship, etc. I thought the things I did at my community college might help my case for acceptance. Anyway, so I was a member of the Honors College, was a member of the Honors College student advisory club, was published in the Honors College academic journal, and spent a semester as head editor for the academic journal (the semester after I was published). I was thinking I could either just mention these things in a paragraph of my SOP, or I could get a LOR from a professor at my community college saying all the things I was a part of. These aren't really things that can be proven, so that's why I'm not sure if mentioning it in my SOP would be enough (since I could just be making it all up). But I don't know even if it's important enough for them to even care if it's true or not. Any suggestions? Oh, I forgot to mention, I was also a journalist in the Air Force. I'm sure they ask me if I served in the military, but I was just going to add a sentence or two about what I did in the Air Force. Also, I was in the philosophy club (but didn't do much) at my university. Should you list unrelated clubs in your SOP? Is it even worth listing them? Do they fact check these things?

Edited by JoeyBoy718

Maybe your resume? Many schools request a resume or CV.

Otherwise I would mention only the most relevant stuff in your SoP, i.e. anything related to your research interests or abilities, or how an experience led you to pursue graduate studies. You might have to just leave some stuff out.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Maybe your resume? Many schools request a resume or CV.

Otherwise I would mention only the most relevant stuff in your SoP, i.e. anything related to your research interests or abilities, or how an experience led you to pursue graduate studies. You might have to just leave some stuff out.

Hey, thanks. I agree that many things will not be relevant enough to bother mentioning, like philosophy club, Honors council, etc. I'll add a sentence about being a journalist in the Air Force and being editor of an academic journal because it illustrates my writing experience.

I actually have another question about something that is relevant to my grad program. I'll be graduating this spring semester, but I'll be applying at the end of the fall semester, so they won't have on record all the certificates/classes I'll have done by the time I graduate. Anyway, I'll be finishing up my certification in ESL (teaching English) in the spring semester, so should I just state in my SOP, "I'll also be completing my certification in English as a Second Language this semester"?

I just seems like certification (especially this type) is very relevant and anyone could just say they will be getting certified in something.

Edited by JoeyBoy718

These things should be included in your CV. You can mention some of them (e.g., the editing gig) in your SOP if you want, but really it should be a brief mention. The ESL certification is probably the most interesting one, particularly if it has informed your research interests in some what. The admissions committee will be most interested in hearing about your research interests as they pertain to linguistics. You should spend the bulk of your SOP discussing what research you have done in the past, what directions you would like to pursue in the PhD program, and why you think that the school in question is a good fit in terms of research.

I wouldn't list any of those things in your SOP unless they're relevant for explaining how you arrived at your research interests or the research experience you already have. Instead, include a short (1 pg, maybe 1.5 if you have to) CV with your applications. I assume the Honors College is on your transcript but, if not, you put that on your CV under "Education". That's the same section where you'd list the ESL certificate. Being a member of a club is not really noteworthy so don't bother with that on your CV. You definitely want to put serving as a journal editor, writing s a journalist, and being published on your CV.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I keep seeing everyone is mentioning what goes in a CV, but I don't see any mention of a CV being part of the application package, at least not for the schools I've decided to apply to. Is there something I'm missing?

Almost every program I applied to asked for a CV (or Resume) as one of the documents you upload. For one school, instead of wanting a CV, they wanted multiple files uploaded separately, but each of them would have been a section in a CV (e.g. they asked for list of publications, list of awards, list of extracurriculars/leadership, etc.)

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I just wanted to kind of update people on my situation. So there's one school I'm realllllllllllllly trying to get into. It's a PhD program. I'm coming straight from undegrad so I'm afraid I don't have many of the things that other applicants will have (MA's, research experience, publications). I do have a 4.0 GPA, good LORs, and I'll be taking the GRE. Now, I was asking where to list things that wouldn't be completely relevant but that I think would enhance me in the eyes of others (military service, academic achievements, etc) and most people are saying to put that stuff on my CV. So I spent a few days creating an excellent CV, then I got an email back from the program I realllllllllly want to apply to and they said they don't require a CV. Now, I feel like I have nowhere to list all these things. I kinda want to submit my CV anyway. Would they even bother reading it since they don't ask for it?

For the school you realllllly want, I say: Pick the bestest, most relevant (like 1 or 2) of these experiences and achievements and work them into your SoP somehow. Shoehorn them in!

I agree with margarets -- if you feel that some of those things (e.g. military service) has defined the type of person you are then it makes sense to include it in the SOP.

In addition, some schools have an extra box/page for "any other details you think you should include" and you can put those things there too.

However, if the school asks you NOT to send a CV and does not provide any chance to give other information then it is likely true that they don't care about these things at all. Remember, what may be important to you might not be important to the grad school!

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I agree with margarets -- if you feel that some of those things (e.g. military service) has defined the type of person you are then it makes sense to include it in the SOP.

In addition, some schools have an extra box/page for "any other details you think you should include" and you can put those things there too.

However, if the school asks you NOT to send a CV and does not provide any chance to give other information then it is likely true that they don't care about these things at all. Remember, what may be important to you might not be important to the grad school!

Yeah. I mean I'm not some patriotic military dude. I don't feel the military defined me. I just thought something like that would sort of enhance my resume a bit, since I lack much of the experience that the other applicants will probably have.

Yeah. I mean I'm not some patriotic military dude. I don't feel the military defined me. I just thought something like that would sort of enhance my resume a bit, since I lack much of the experience that the other applicants will probably have.

I was part of a half-military, half-volunteer organization for most of my youth and I think that experience helped shape the person I developed into. I totally put that experience into my CV where they asked for one. I didn't mean to imply that being in the military is a bad thing etc. I would have said the same thing if you had mentioned any other experience/extracurricular. I was just saying that if they purposely do not ask for things like that, then it probably won't enhance your application since they would only ask for things that they prioritize in their applicants. But definitely include anything you think might help you in CVs for other schools of course!

Edited by TakeruK

The military service should only be included in your SOP if it has helped to define your *research* interests in some way. The admission committee members are looking for people who will be able to achieve success in a linguistics PhD program... I'm sure that you are a hard worker, and that being in the military has shaped you, but has it shaped you as a researcher? If not, then it shouldn't be included in your SOP. I would find out if *not requiring* a CV is the same thing as *not accepting* a CV. It is likely that a CV can be uploaded as additional documentation.