Harvard and Yale Divinity, Fall 2013 Applications

unacclimated

Hi,

I just wanted to get some perspectives from those who are applying to HDS and YDS for a master's program for Fall 2013.

I have a BA in Humanities from a university on the East Coast and I have always considered the possibility of continuing on with a masters but decided with my undergraduate gpa it might not be possible. In August I started an application for Yale's MAR program and I initially decided not to complete it because of the work involved in applying. I had all but forgotten about the application until Yale sent an email indicating my application needed more details to be completed so transcripts could be matched to applicants schools.

I decided, why not give it shot?

So far, most of the heavy lifting has been completed. I have completed all the essays required for each respective school but I only have two recommenders at this point. I'm waiting on responses from two different Professors, which is kind of agonizing Some profs have a bad habit of checking their university email inbox like once a week, or less frequently unless they're expecting something important.

In addition to Yale's MAR comprehensive program I decided to also apply to HDS for the MTS degree in Religion, Literature and Culture, although that may change. I have to admit I feel like I'd need a deus ex machina moment to get into either school given the decreasing rate of acceptances over the last few years. I have been fortunate enough to have my undergraduate education paid for so taking on some sort of debt isn't something that bothers me should I get in.

I have read through various questions on this forum regarding HDS and YDS, and I'd certainly be curious to hear what sort of concentrations people plan applying for and what they plan on using their divinity education towards post graduation.

With my area of focus at HDS I want something that reflects my interest in neo-Platonism and its relation to Christianity but I'm not sure if I should apply with the History of Christianity, Theology, or the Philosophy of Religion area of focus. The courses in Platonism are in the first two subject areas but I wonder how much History or Theology I might actually be interested in overall. Right now I have the Religion, Literature and Culture focus selected but I think it would probably send the wrong signal given my interests. Then again my training in the History of Christianity and Theology are negligible at this point aside from two years of study in neo-Platonism and the Christian tradition.

Edited by unacclimated

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be applying to Yale and Harvard for their MAR/MTS programs. I'm completing my undergrad from USC. My cumulative GPA (Pierce College + USC) is 3.5, GPA from just USC is 3.2, so nothing fantastic at all. Stronger I would suppose is my experience and reason for wanting the degree.

I started a nonprofit program senior year of high school. Job training, employment and job skills 10 week curriculum for at-risk and homeless youths in Los Angeles. I've run it for 6 years, over 250 kids have gotten full employment. Through this work, I've partnered with Salvation Army, Homebody Industries, etc. My experience with these groups gave me an incredible amount of insight regarding how faith and philanthropy tie into each other. It really is a magical combination.

I want to apply to the MAR and MTS for ethics/philosophy related programs as my undergrad is in Philosophy, Politics, and Law (PPL). My desire for this degree is more functional - to understand the intersection of faith, policy, ethics, and the real world. I want to use this knowledge to continue my non-profit work, maybe even go for civil rights law and law school.

Given my GPA, I have no clue if I even have an outside shot. Though, my work experience, GRE, and letters of rec are all pretty good, I believe.

Your work experience will definitely work in your favor and I think you'll have a rather competitive chance of getting into one or both, that said though...I'd say your chances of acceptance is in the 60-70% range (incredibly, incredibly subjective numbers) and the only reason I say that is because the MAR/MTS competition is harder than the MDiv since it's an academic degree so their expectations for your performance in the program are naturally higher.

Edited by Balatro

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Perhaps someone familiar with YDS could give me a bit of perspective on the likelihood of me gaining admittance to the school.

I've applied to the MAR with a concentration in philosophical theology. I have a very average academic record, with an undergraduate GPA of 3.49 in Literary Studies/Philosophy and a 3.22 in a MA program in Humanities, the History of Ideas, both from the University of Texas at Dallas. I've recently "published" a piece on Heidegger's relation to Christian theology, which ran on the official daily blog of the well-regarded magazine First Things. In addition, I'm a newly commissioned missionary bound for Berlin, Germany. I've got several years of support-raising ahead of me and I'd like to pursue some formal theological training before departing for Europe. My dream would be to eventually pursue doctoral studies at Tuebingen or Freiburg. 

Any thoughts? Much appreciated and best of luck to all.

• 1 month later...

I don't think that should be a huge worry, my applications at both HDS and YDS still just say "submitted"

When a decision has been officially made, we'll all get emails about a change in our application status. 
No later than this upcoming Friday, March 15.

Edited by unacclimated

I'm in at YDS and HDS. I applied to PTS as well, and my app still says "under review by committee." (Sidenote: Does anyone know why PTS makes you take a $36 background check with your application? It seems kind of bizarre, considering I haven't even been accepted there yet. Their app was by far the most expensive one.)

@Indefiniteintegral & @calmflare, did you get the funding you were hoping for at YDS?

HDS offered me a grant (a little more than half tuition), but when I asked whether it was renewable, I got the "nothing's guaranteed, but if your financial situation doesn't change, it is likely" response. Props to their financial aid office for being so on top of their email, though. Fast responses—and very gracious. 

YDS offered me a scholarship for half of tuition that is renewable. 

Despite what people say about the Ides of March, it's been a pretty great week.   :D

Edited by roadrunner_33

I'm in at YDS and HDS. I applied to PTS as well, and my app still says "under review by committee." (Sidenote: Does anyone know why PTS makes you take a $36 background check with your application? It seems kind of bizarre, considering I haven't even been accepted there yet. Their app was by far the most expensive one.)

First congrats!

The background check seems to be a requirement for all PC(USA) seminaries; for instance when you get it you have to select between PTS, Columbia Seminary, Union Presbyterian, etc. So I assume its just a denominational thing, not a PTS specific thing.

First congrats!

The background check seems to be a requirement for all PC(USA) seminaries; for instance when you get it you have to select between PTS, Columbia Seminary, Union Presbyterian, etc. So I assume its just a denominational thing, not a PTS specific thing.

Thank you—and congrats to you as well! Also, the PC seminaries explanation does make sense; thanks for enlightening me.

Do you have a clear favorite from your many acceptances? 

Thank you—and congrats to you as well! Also, the PC seminaries explanation does make sense; thanks for enlightening me.   Do you have a clear favorite from your many acceptances? 
Well right now I'm going between PTS, BC, and to a lesser extent SLU. I'm currently visiting schools, I'll have a good picture of where I'll be after that. Where do you think you'll end up?

@Indefiniteintegral & @calmflare, did you get the funding you were hoping for at YDS?

HDS offered me a grant (a little more than half tuition), but when I asked whether it was renewable, I got the "nothing's guaranteed, but if your financial situation doesn't change, it is likely" response. Props to their financial aid office for being so on top of their email, though. Fast responses—and very gracious. 

YDS offered me a scholarship for half of tuition that is renewable. 

Despite what people say about the Ides of March, it's been a pretty great week.   :D

Got half. Of course, always hoped for more!

@indefiniteintegral Well, still, congrats! 

@Therewillbeluke YDS/ISM is looking mighty fine right now. Not sure yet whether I will be able to make it to the admitted student visit days at either school, though. I hope your campus visits are illuminating.