GRE Extended Time (Disability)

valkener

Hey,

I have a visual disability (I can only see out one eye, the other one is completely blocked). Now, I have only had this since about 2 years and am not fully adjusted by any means. I make a lot of "reading" errors like writing down the wrong number or symbol.

It also makes it a lot harder for me to study, besides limiting my visual field. I am a determined preson and have a good undergrad gpa (3.4). I am not set on going through with requesting extra time. I am most worried about an indication that I took the test with extra time or extra accommodation to the universities I apply to.

Check out this section from ETS:

In most cases, score reports contain no indication of whether a test was taken with accommodations.

In rare instances, when an accommodation significantly alters what is tested (for example, if an entire

test section must be omitted), a statement may be included with the score report indicating that the

test was taken with accommodations. Score reports do not indicate the nature of the disability or the

accommodations given. Score recipients also are reminded that test scores should be considered only

one part of an applicant’s record.

I am also planning on taking the GRE 3-4 times and then using the best score with the Select Any option. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Edited by valkener

The blurb from the ETS says it will only tell about accomodations if you can't do an entire section because of your disability, like if you had dyscalculia and were completely unable to do math so the report would explain that you don't have a Quantitative score. More importantly, I don't think the universities would look down on you for taking extra time. That's completely ridiculous and probably a violation of the ADA.

I think you should request the accomodations, because you definitely deserve them, and plan on taking the test once or twice.