Carnegie Mellon, LCS

Did anyone apply to Carnegie Mellon's doctoral program in LCS? I'm visiting family in Pittsburgh this week and was hoping to get an answer on my app before heading out Wednesday. I already have to avoid tripping on Pitt's campus (was rejected a few weeks ago). I was denied an answer on my app status but was old that faculty would be notifying those accepted this week. Has anyone already heard back?

This is my first post after browsing the conversations for a couple of months.

It's strange to address other applicants to Carnegie Mellon's LCS. I wanted to state that I also have heard nothing regarding my application, although I'm encouraged to read that we may find out this week. I am very anxious waiting to hear from my remaining schools (still waiting on 8 of 14).

I'm also curious to hear from you Carnegie Mellon folks: where is CM on your list of schools? Is CM towards the higher end or more of a "safety school" (a concept which has thoroughly been debunked)?

I'm not sure I stand a great chance here. I would love to get into CM but I know there are many qualified applicants. Perhaps you all stand a better chance than I do?

Good luck, and let's hope we hear this week!

I can't wait to hear from CM also. This sounds very familiar.

As far as where they are on my list, I would have to say (it's kind of difficult) that of the schools I actually stand even the slightest chance of getting into (as opposed to, for example, U of Chicago) that CM is probably my #1. Like I said, I REALLY can't wait to hear from them, especially with striking out so far. 6 to go and fingers still crossed!

I'm still waiting to hear from five schools, including Carnegie Mellon. I really, really hope that this is the week that they notify, because I want to start planning my life for the next year! And the LCS program is probably my favorite, of all the schools to which I applied.

I applied to the LCS masters program, and I am still waiting--not that that would be of any help for Phd candidates who are waiting, but thought I would share anyway. I haven't heard back from any masters programs yet; but this does seem to be the case for most masters applicants so far this year.

decisions are going to be made this week!

Hallelujah! Although, if decisions are made this week, who knows when and how notification will go out... In any case, I'm very much looking forward to this one. Thanks for the udpate!

Also waiting on CMU's LCS. Was getting a little worried, but am somewhat relieved to see that others are still in a holding-pattern. Also have not yet heard back from Pitt's PhD English program, though I've read here and elsewhere that people have gotten responses--tres etrange.

Ah well, hopefully this waiting game will soon be over with a positive result. Best of luck to all those who are waiting with me (just so long as your good luck does not come at my expense, of course...)

Also waiting on CMU's LCS. Was getting a little worried, but am somewhat relieved to see that others are still in a holding-pattern.

I just called Carnegie Mellon's Englsh Dept. and was told notifications will go out next week. I need to remember to start asking how they will go out--now I will be waiting all week for a call or e-mail, probably only to get a postal notification a full week later.

Good luck to all.

I know that they are on Spring Break right now (but I don't think that alters the office proceedings in any way...some profs might be away, though..), and I know that some rejections have been emailed already. I haven't heard a thing. It seems that in previous years acceptances typically have been phone calls and emails, and waitlistings have been mailed....

If they're on spring break, I'm really impressed that they got back to me. I'm on the wait-list--I only know because I emailed. I got a very nice email from my potential advisor indicating that I am number three (out of two slots in my concentration). Now I wait in limbo, but with other offers to consider. . . .

Good luck, everyone!

Congrats!!!

I'm not surprised to hear that they were quick in responding, every encounter I've had with anyone from CMU has been nothing but professional, kind, and sincere. Now, you've tempted me to email.... :)

i just got my acceptance! it came via a phone call (i missed it) and email. i called back and had a brief chat with the DGS. they are sending information out via mail early next week and are having a visiting day on april 3rd.

For what it's worth, I was a Ph.D. applicant and have not heard anything yet (despite all the wait list e-mails and acceptance calls being reported). I'm assuming this means I'm in the reject pile, probably with a letter in the mail.

I am on their waitlist, though I don't have any more information than that. I am crossing my fingers that someone will turn them down and I will get a funded spot, but... I mean, I wouldn't turn down a funded spot at CMU, why would anyone else?

I'm on the waitlist, too. To my understanding they have 3-4 slots, and they've tried to represent a range in time periods.

Please tell me some of you have an interest in Renaissance or Victorian cultural studies???? :wink:

Got my rejection today :(

It was a form email that was different from all others I've received in that it was actually bordering on offensive! I don't think that was the intent, but the tone of it and possible insinuations were very strange. Odd.

Genuine congrats to everyone else though!

what would you say is the word of mouth reputation of this program? i am not american, and had not heard much about it before i started doing research on grad schools. the faculty interests fit well with mine, though.