How long before sending follow up?

dendy

So yesterday morning I sent two former PIs email requests for letters of rec (I live too far to visit and they both hate phone calls). I know 36 hours isn't very long but they are both constantly glued to their iPhones and in the past I've always received an almost instantaneous response. I'm starting to get anxious and think they both missed my message and now it is long buried in their inboxes, never to see the light of day. Or maybe my email is broken. Or maybe they both hate me. How long would you wait before sending a follow up and how would you word it in order to not sound like a presumptuous anxiety ridden baby??

I'd give them at least a week and a half to two weeks. Send a second email with the original at the bottom, and just say you are following up on your first email because you know they are busy. Something like, "Dear So-and-so, I'm emailing regarding the request I sent two weeks ago for a letter of recommendation. I know you are busy and your inbox is likely inundated with emails, so I wanted to check in again to make sure you received it." Maybe even give them a "if you're too busy I understand" if you can word it so it doesn't sound too pathetic (I haven't been able to figure that one out yet) so they have an out if they need one. I had to email a couple of POIs twice and this did the trick; I got a response the second time, with a very sincere apology from both about missing my first email.

Well my main worry is that the recs are due at the end of the month/beginning of Dec and I feel like 2 weeks is way too close in case I have to find another writer. Maybe this is why you're supposed to contact recommenders 6 weeks ahead of time...

Yes, that's probably why, but there is so much to think about, it's really ridiculous. One of my friends joked that if you can do all the application-related things you are supposed to on time, they should just give you the PhD.

I would email them now, then, and acknowledge that you cut it close and be apologetic? Or maybe just call, even though you know they hate that? I think if you are apologetic and accept responsibility for asking a bit late you won't come across at all like a "presumptuous anxiety ridden baby."