Architecture School Application Chat

I just wanted to start a forum for M. Arch applicants. I have been waiting for my acceptance/denial letter and wanted to see who else out there wanted to talk! (I couldn't find another forum for arch. students). What schools have you applied to? Me? Only one! UVA...that's why I'm so nervous about my response...so let's chat! :)

Hey, Really nervous too. Just heard about this site and have been checking it religiously ever since. I applied to Columbia, Pratt Parsons and UNM. SO far heard back from UNM and got accepted, but that was my safty school and I'm not excited about having to move back to New Mexico...Good luck with UVA, any reason you picked only that school?

I am really nervous since someone on the gradcafe already posted they received a phone call last Monday for M. Arch Path A. I just don't understand why (If I am accepted - haha) that they call SOME of the admits and leave others wondering...?? I sure hope they just didn't call me...is it because they call those that have applied to other schools and they want to make sure they get that person? Because I ONLY applied to UVA (didn't have time to research other programs and LOVE UVA, made up my mind to apply to grad school pretty late in the game)...

Did anyone else apply to UVA's Path A arch? If so, what was your undergrad?

I have a BFA in Interior Design (more of an architecture program) at JMU

apple16: Best of luck for a UVA acceptance! I was planning to apply there too, but didn't get the chance (applications took much more time than I originally figured and much more $$ too! (application fee + portfolio printing = $100+ each application!) From my research UVA seems to be a great program (strong Landscape arch. program as well)... hope you get in!

I too am nervously awaiting decisions... Applied to five (Upenn, Cornell, Wustl, Yale, Princeton) and only heard from Wustl so far (accepted). Anyone else planning to attend the April open house at Washington U? If so...See you there!

thanks, i appreciate that! but, I'm not feeling very hopeful at this time because someone on here posted they received an acceptance phone call 3 weeks ago...and when I emailed the admissions office they said they are mailing the letters this week. I figure if I was in they would've told me in the email...sooo.... :/ I'll just apply next year I guess if I didn't get in...I put all my eggs in one basket only applying to one place, so that's good you have options! I just didn't research other programs really and only wanted to go to UVA at the time of applying. Next year I'm sure I'll apply to more! :| I just wish I knew how to properly decode the admissions process...they should call people immediately when they decide to accept them! hahahah! :) good luck to you as well! Is it inappropriate to [if I am lucky enough to be waitlisted] go to the school and present them with my new material I have worked on, it really shows more architectural design. [i am still doing undergrad at JMU interior design program, which is heavily architecture based - my professors are architects]. I just thought since I was applying to the first professional program that doesn't require design degree, I would have a 'leg up' since I have experience. But, I guess I am also up against those that have been out working.... :cry: bummer....the part that bugs me is that when I went and had a personal meeting with the professors they were like 'oh wow, we would love to have you/JMU interior design students'! and now, I haven't received a phone call...as if I'm not in :(

If you, or anyone has a comment, PLEASE comment! :)

and good luck to all!!!

I am quite anxiously waiting a reply as well. Applied to only UC Berkeley & Buffalo in the states, and three in Canada. I'm guessing international students are going to have a tough time this year. Haven't heard back from anyone yet, getting so nervous!! I heard a friend who got into the landscape program in U British Columbia, don't know how close the landscape program is with the arch program there.

Judging from the results on the grad cafe, I'm guessing Berkeley's already sent out a good number of responses? There goes my hope:(

• 6 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to change career paths and I am considering going back to school to pursue an M-Arch degree. I have always been interested in architecture and even considered it during high school but I didn't follow through. I now have a BA in International Affairs and am working full time but I've finally decided that I need to go back to school to do what I really want to do---which I am almost positive is architecture. I enrolled at the local community college and am taking a Design 1 course to see if it's what I really want before I invest in a new path.

So I need some advice on applying to schools. My main worry is that my gpa for my BA was only 3.07...I have taken the GRE and scored 1240 (I scored higher on the Q but don't know the score off the top of my head). I have 3 yrs. experience working for a custom home builder and 4 yrs. working for an electrical contractor.

I know I need to build a solid portfolio and I have been working on my painting and also photographing the projects in my class. I really want to get into a program for Fall of 2010 but I'm concerned I won't have enough time to fully develop a portfolio by the most of the deadlines (December 15th)...

Beside the portfolio I am concerned that they won't even consider my application because of my GPA. I have considered taking the GRE again...I took it on a whim when I was helping my husband study so I could probably have worked harder for a better score.

I worked full time through my BA and never fully committed myself to school...if I can get into a program I know if would be a lot of hard work but I am ready for it. (I would not be working) I have always struggled between balancing the analytical side of myself with the creative side and I think architecture would allow me to pursue both strengths.

Here are some of the schools I am looking at...U of Virginia, U of Texas (Austin), U of Colorado (Denver), U of Florida, University of Oregon, University of Miami, Pratt Insitute, University of South Florida (back-up)

Any advice?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to start a forum for M. Arch applicants. I have been waiting for my acceptance/denial letter and wanted to see who else out there wanted to talk! (I couldn't find another forum for arch. students). What schools have you applied to? Me? Only one! UVA...that's why I'm so nervous about my response...so let's chat! :)

I applied to Tulane, USC, Cornell, Columbia GSAPP (MSAAD), IIT, Syracuse, U of Houston, and the AA in london. I got accepted at Syracuse, and Tulane with advanced standing and financial Aid. I got rejected from Cornell. Still waiting on the others...Quite a time huh?

Is anyone attending the Graduate Reception at Syracuse on April 9th?

How do people feel about the M-arch II program at Tulane?

I too got into Tulane with advanced standing and was curious to hear feedback on the program..

Schools I heard back from:

Tulane: In + $

UMiami: In + $

Clemson: Waitlisted

Syracuse: Waitlisted

Georgia Tech: No reply yet

If anyone has any good info to compare Tulane and UMiami, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Applied: Pratt, RISD

Accepted: Syracuse, SCAD, North Carolina State University, Arizona State University

Denied: Parsons, IIT

Anyone hear back from Pratt yet? Particularly MArch First Professional Degree candidates? It is my number 1 choice and I am going crazy waiting!!!

For all of you thinking about Tulane, I had considered applying there and actually work for a guy who went there. The main reason I didn't want to apply was because they seem to focus on historical preservation and the varying styles of architecture around Tulane seem very static to me. I wanted to be in a location where there was more architectural diversity.

Applied: Pratt, RISD

Accepted: Syracuse, SCAD, North Carolina State University, Arizona State University

Denied: Parsons, IIT

Anyone hear back from Pratt yet? Particularly MArch First Professional Degree candidates? It is my number 1 choice and I am going crazy waiting!!!

For all of you thinking about Tulane, I had considered applying there and actually work for a guy who went there. The main reason I didn't want to apply was because they seem to focus on historical preservation and the varying styles of architecture around Tulane seem very static to me. I wanted to be in a location where there was more architectural diversity.

mltannenbaum,

When did you hear from NC State? I have been waiting....and waiting...and waiting.....

A friend of mine who is also applying called today and said they should send out all of the decisions early next week, although when I last called this past Monday they said they hoped to have them posted by today. Who knows how much longer it will take....I've heard back from my other 4 schools.

I am leaning towards going to Temple but may go to NC State....esp. if they offer an assistantship/scholarship, etc., so I don't want to make a decision until I hear from them.

Hi Archies!

I got my B.Arch from USC and I'm applying for an MFA this year. BUT i thought I would add my boyfriends stats on here since he's applying for an M. Arch in case this helped anyone and maybe someone had some info on the schools he's not heard from.

Applied: LSU, U. of Houston, UTexas- Arlington, UTexas- San Antonio, U. of Florida.

Accepted: LSU via phone call on March 8th

and has not heard anything else. Anyone heard back from any of the other schools??

hello future m.archies,

surprisingly, i got accepted to wustl and syracuse with 2.886 gpa, math 680 verbal 390 writing 2.5...

my portfolio? must have been oustanding? but i personally think it's mediocre. what do you guys think? you can view my portfolio for m.arch admissions at www.dohyoungkim.com

site is still under-construction but you can view my arch portfolio.

tell me what you think!

i'm super excited for wustl though :)

• 11 months later...

i applied for a master in architecture II.. I´m having an skype call tomorrow to verify my comunication skills (im mexican)

do anyone has an idea if what are they going to ask me?

• 4 weeks later...

thanks, i appreciate that! but, I'm not feeling very hopeful at this time because someone on here posted they received an acceptance phone call 3 weeks ago...and when I emailed the admissions office they said they are mailing the letters this week. I figure if I was in they would've told me in the email...sooo.... :/ I'll just apply next year I guess if I didn't get in...I put all my eggs in one basket only applying to one place, so that's good you have options! I just didn't research other programs really and only wanted to go to UVA at the time of applying. Next year I'm sure I'll apply to more! :| I just wish I knew how to properly decode the admissions process...they should call people immediately when they decide to accept them! hahahah! :) good luck to you as well! Is it inappropriate to [if I am lucky enough to be waitlisted] go to the school and present them with my new material I have worked on, it really shows more architectural design. [i am still doing undergrad at JMU interior design program, which is heavily architecture based - my professors are architects]. I just thought since I was applying to the first professional program that doesn't require design degree, I would have a 'leg up' since I have experience. But, I guess I am also up against those that have been out working.... :cry: bummer....the part that bugs me is that when I went and had a personal meeting with the professors they were like 'oh wow, we would love to have you/JMU interior design students'! and now, I haven't received a phone call...as if I'm not in :(

If you, or anyone has a comment, PLEASE comment! :)

and good luck to all!!!

apple 16: I'm not sure if you've heard anything yet. I'm a VCU IDES undergrad - graduated in '08 - and was accepted a little over a week ago.

Good luck and maybe we'll cross paths at the open house.

I applied to the MArch programs at the University of Washington in Seattle and the University of British Columbia in Vancouver. There have been some acceptances, rejections and wait list posted, but I sit here in silence. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. Any insight would be helpful.

I am also doing a career change. Architecture was my first major in college in 1988 at the University of Arizona. It turned out that the school and I were a terrible fit for each other. I finally graduated with a Biochemistry Degree that I never used and I have spent the last 20 years in the IT industry earning an MBA along the way. Things slowed down in IT-land significantly last year and I had time on my hands. I decided to take an "Architecture Boot Camp" class (Arch 100) at UW, which I loved. I followed that up with a CAD class and an Architectural Photography class in the fall. Still undeterred, I brushed off my 40-year-old neurons and did quite well on the GRE, put together a portfolio, and applied to the schools.

It is quite obvious by now that I was not their first choice as acceptances were sent out two weeks ago, but I was apparently not their last choice either. So, I sit somewhere in the middle waiting in academic limbo.

• 1 year later...

hello , im new in Architecture , i studied medicine engineering for bachelor , i want to apply for master course and i dont know which universities gives fund nor the probability of being accepted , is any one here could help me out of this :)

• 5 months later...

I just wanted to help with all the questions for Grad Students wanting to break into the Architecture Graduate Program. Usually, most architecture departments don't care what you got your Bachelor's in, so long as your portfolio looks good. I would say that the most important sections judged during the review process are as follows: (1) Creative Capability, (2) Academic Performance, (3) and Contribution to the Program. I'll break these down even further.

Creative Capability - Ultimately, this is measured through your portfolio. You portfolio is your way to show how you can think outside of the box. An outstanding portfolio can pull you out of the pit if you know you have done poorly in any of two other areas below.

Academic Performance - This will be based on the grades that you received during your undergraduate studies. You can also include in this your GRE scores.

Contribution to the Program - What experiences do you have to offer the program? Most universities want a diverse environment. What sets you apart from the average person? (Don't worry, you can always work on this before you apply.)

If you still need more help in this area, I would suggest reading Get Accepted Into Architecture School. You can search for it in Amazon, or you can follow the link at the bottom (I'm not sure if the moderators will allow links; that's why I say to search for it on Amazon). The Graduate portion in there isn't really too long, but that's because the portfolio requirements will be the same whether you apply to grad school or undergrad (it will only differ for those who already have undergraduate architecture degrees...they are on a completely different track). The book tells you all you need to know about creating the perfect portfolio and application. Good luck to you all!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/148001172X

• 1 year later...

I applied to The University of Tennessee M Arch track 3 and haven't heard anything back yet. It is the only school i applied to because it is in state and the more affordable option than going out-of-state. Clemson and Virginia Tech are good schools that were an option but i decided not to apply this year. UT is on Spring break this week and i hope to hear something by the end of the month.

My undergrad degree is in construction engineering, i have worked for a architect for 8 years and i have a strong art background. They say that they do like job experience. Lets hope for the best.