UIllinois-Urbana Champaign

So, there are a couple email acceptances on the results page. I emailed the department secretary to ask if they did email or postal notification. She said they'll be sending out letters this week. I think that may mean that if you don't get an email, you didn't get in. . . another one bites the dust. . . dun, dun, dun. . .

I think, or hope, anyway, that that assumption may be a little hasty. U of Ill., according to its website, usually takes 5-10 Literature PhDs per year and 40 masters students per year (who have intent to continue, usually, I believe); so, if any of you, like I have, decided to apply as masters in the hopes of staying for the PhD, it seems absurd that everyone who was not contacted by e-mail yesterday has been rejected. Even if the annual admission number of 50 has been greatly reduced due to economic turmoil, we still have had not heard of nearly enough positive responses to lose heart!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I called UILUC today to ask about my status, since I hadn't received any sort of notification yet. I was told that I was waitlisted (and also, unfortunately, that the DGS did not think they would be admitting from the waitlist this year). Maybe anyone else who has heard no word is also waitlisted?..