Oxford (MPP) and LSE (MSc Social Policy) - Am I competitive?

hero91

Hello All,

I know, everyone hates these threads. but I need to know if it is even worth applying. I have scoured the respective websites, but they have some information (not a whole lot, though).

Here are my stats/information:

Majors: International Relations & Chinese Studies

GPA: 3.67 (big concern is Oxford says 3.7 and/or GRE scores determine academic ability)

GRE: 167(Q), 165(V), 5.5

Languages: Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Urdu, Spanish

Work Experience: I worked extensively throughout my undegrad - after school program leader, Elections Manager for my university's students' association, I am working as a volunteer coordinator now (I also did an internship in Korea for a human rights NGO) (I am applying as a senior)

I know for the LSE program, they are looking for a 3.5 GPA, so I think I am OK for that program for academics. However, between the two programs, I am leaning more towards the MPP from Oxford because it is a broader policy program compared to LSE, which only focuses on social policy.

Thoughts?

PS Recently decided to switch from an MA in East Asian Studies to something in public policy... so I am even more nervous because I have so much less time to get everything lined up and ready.

Edited by hero91

• 4 weeks later...

HI! Sorry I don t have the answer you need as I didn t study there, but I was just wondering out of curiosity, do you totally master all these Asian languages ? Quite impressive if it's the case!

Are you considering other schools? Speaking of Asian Studies (though it probably doesnt interest you now) you probably know that but Stanford has a famous school, and of course Asia offers a few great schools now (Singapore, South Korea). Good luck anyway!

• 2 months later...

I'm also interested in the Oxford MPP. I have GRE 159 verbal, 154 quant 5.0 writing. 3.993 GPA for International Studies major. Work experience is pretty limited to an intenship and two fellowships at my universities IR research office. I have no idea what to expect as a response from Oxford.