Another POI email question...

rockbender

About 2 weeks ago I emailed a professor about potentially working in her lab. She was not originally on my radar, so I wasn't super committed to making the contact, and when she never responded, I let it go. But she did respond! Today! Her email was actually pretty nice and sounded encouraging. Her research is along the lines of what I would like to do in grad school (though not exactly), and she is from a very well respected university in my field.

HOWEVER the deadline for the school's application is in about a month, and approximately 3 weeks earlier than any of my other applications. Basically my application work is on hold until after NSFGRF is turned in (Nov 19), so I seriously doubt I could get it done (well) in time. Plus I feel like it would be kind of unfair to my recommenders, who thought they were getting a break between NSF and my applications. If she had responded sooner, I would have been happy to add the school to my list instead of some of the other less exciting ones that are currently on there. But at this point, I have pretty much decided that I won't be applying to her school.

So.. What should I say in response to her email? Should I tell her that I no longer plan to apply to the school? Do I feign interest and then just not turn in an application? Do I respond at all?!?!

Thanks!

Do you want to go to the school? Then apply. Because your recommenders already have to write for NSF so this app letter will only be a modification. And really, you can't focus solely on the NSF right now. Do the other application because you'll likely regret it if you don't.

Honestly, I can't believe that you're going to drop a school that you're excited about and that's a good fit for you and instead apply to others that you are less excited about. Are you insane? I realize this process makes people crazy but really. A recommendation letter can be written in a couple of days and it is not that much additional work to add one more program. TRUST ME! Professors are used to this happening because that's how things go. Have you ever paid any attention to academic job ads? I applied recently for a position that was posted on Oct 17 with a deadline of Nov 1 and required 3 recommendation letters. I'd already asked for letters for other things and not one of my recommenders balked at being asked to submit this additional letter. Not one. Read that again and let it sink in.

So, here's what you should do. Email your recommenders to let them know about the additional school, where the letters need to go, etc. Set up an online acct for that school's grad app and start working on it. Email the POI and thank her for her enthusiastic reply, let her know you're still interested and will apply, and say that you look forward to speaking with her further. Check FB, Twitter, G+, GradCafe, or whatever other social media less and use that time to work on your application and get it done. Got it?