I got this response back from a POI, what to do now?? Need advice!

nutmehg

I got this response back from a potential POI today:

Dear [nutmehg],

Thank you for your message and interest in our graduate program. We

have many shared research interests and you have some great

credentials. At the moment, I am uncertain about whether I will be

accepting student next fall. You could certainly apply to our program

and if a position becomes available, I would happily consider you.

Regards,

Professor X

Is this good? Should I email another professor at that department if he's not sure? How should I respond?

It wouldn't hurt to email another prof or two if you like that university's program, most schools assume (expect) that you'll be contacting more than 1 faculty member when determining your fit.

From my experience, that is a pretty standard response from a prof. Funding seems to be pretty tight right now, and with the "fiscal cliff" there seems to be some uncertainty about future funding. I have received that same type of email response from quite a few profs in the last couple of months...

Your best bet, IMHO, is to keep contacting profs until you find one (several) that are indeed planning to take on grad students and that are a good fit for you. Then focus your efforts on them - read their research papers, talk on the phone, go visit, etc...

I've been thinking about the PoIs' perspective in this process. It makes sense that they get loads of these inquiries, but only a fraction will end up as students in the program, let alone one of their advisees. So I can see how they wouldn't want to invest much time in these exchanges, or even appear to commit to taking on students, at this stage.

I think the reply you got is fine. I'd just reply with thanks, keep contacting other PoIs, see where it leads. Once a school accepts you they will get serious about the advising arrangements.

That is a pretty standard response, not bad but not enthusiastic either.

If you are really interested in the program, then you can still definitely apply. Probably it would be a good idea to contact some other people in the program though.

If you aren't really interested or committed to that program, then I would say move on. You should only apply to places that 1. YOU are really excited about and/or 2. the POI is really enthusiastic about you joining their group. If neither of those things are true, it's not worth your time.