strategy in listing other schools?

gilbertrollins

I was told they're looking at how well you assess and apply to programs similar to theirs in terms of fit. I imagine for higher ranking institutions, they may be considering the prestige factor of other schools you apply to as well.

Edited by Willows

Not sure about what different it makes during the application process, but you will very likely be asked at recruitment weekend what other schools your considering. It's extremely awkward and, if you really like the program and faculty, can be emotionally difficult to manage people's expectations, not to mention you own. However, it can also work to your advantage. One program offerend me a fellowship that came with extra funding in order to induce me to accept their offer over higher-ranked and better funded programs. I imagine that, if you're weighing a few options, this can be exploited to get a better package. Don't be an ass about it, of course, but no one can blame you for trying to eek out a living as a grad student.

That's after being accepted, though. I'm not sure what purpose indicating your other choices plays during the admissions process, except perhaps for data collection purposes on the part of the graduate school/program.

Edited by SocialGroovements

My DGS said keeping in touch with schools and negotiating politely is important to do - as they're assembling cohorts and people are accepting and rejecting offers right up until April 15. He's in economics: customs may be slightly different, but not a ton (institutional ecology is not terribly different in the different departments).

I was thinking about this too... because when it's "optional" to list other schools, I'm wondering if there is an advantage or disadvantage to list the schools. I decided to go ahead and list all schools on the application I've encountered that asked about it. I am assuming it's for data collection purposes... to see what kinds of schools they share applicants with or perhaps, to some extent, to assess the chances of an applicant accepting so they can gauge how many offers to make.

If your field is concentrated enough, it's nice when a professor who has read your application can comment on the merits of the other programs/professors in the other programs. Otherwise, I don't think it makes a difference, unless whoever is reading your application believes students should only apply to programs based on research interests (as opposed to personal reasons).

It helps programs separate the serious students from the rest of the wolf pack. If you're a serious scholar, you'll apply to the top programs in your area. If you're not, you'll have a random list of programs.

Too simplel. Noone, unless they are paid to, keep tabs on all the programs, professors, faculty, sub-fields etc. Just ask your LOR - most professors barely know whether their former collaborators remain at the same school as five years ago or if they moved to China.

You might apply to the top programs for one reason (resources, future possibilities etc) whereas you apply to a smaller one because they have specific faculty members that are highly relevant to your topic of interest. The most random list is the one where you simply put the top 10 programs and nothing else.

Edited by cherub