Will poor subject GREs/ an OK gpa hurt me?

Marty5

So, I'm applying to UIUC, UNC, Scripps, Vanderbilt, UCSF, U Wisconsin Madison, U Michigan, WashU, Columbia, Sloan Kettering, UC Berkeley, and Yale. I'm graduating with a double major from a good public research university. I have done 2 years of undergraduate research (i expect a pretty great letter from my PI) and one SURF. I also have TA experience. My GPA is a 3.4 and my general GRE scores were V:160 and Q:158. I just took the biochem GRE and I don't feel too great about it. Is there any way that these schools will accept me either without a subject score (for those that have optional subject gres) or with a mediocre score? Should I add more back-ups/if so, where? I'm looking at bio-organic/potentially cancer research

I'm not that familiar with the new GRE scoring. What percentile is your quant score? My gut says that w/ the schools you're applying to, you should be aiming for mid 160's at least. If I were you, I'd study for that exam again. You might get away with omitting the GRE subject when/if it's optional. But, I would seriously consider re-testing before moving through the application process. As for back-ups, you should def. add some. You're in PA. Philly has some schools I would add. Basically, add some state schools and mid-tier private schools to your list that mesh with your research interests. You also say that you're applying for Spring 2013. I wasn't aware that any of those schools had spring admission (I'm almost 100% positive vandy, columbia and yale don't).

That's what i thought. See my PI keeps telling me that UIUC, Michigan, Wisconsin, and UNC are back ups.. and it makes me really nervous! I also am double majoring and have a minor, if that helps at all? Also, I meant I'm applying right now, sorry. No time to retake the GRE!

I have a similar question. In May I graduated from Syracuse University with a Bachelor of Science degree in psychology with a integrative learning major in neuroscience. My overall GPA was a 2.9 and my major GPA is a 3.33. My GRE scores are 154 verbal (63%) 150 q and 4 W. I have a year of research experience and pretty good LORs. I applied to the University of Hartford for the MS neuroscience program from Spring semester. I am super anxious and I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on my chances of getting in. My GPA is subpar because of personal issues which I have explained in my SOP and which also tie into my motivation for studying neuroscience. I want more than anything to get into this program to further my academic career. I have been interested in neuroscience since I was 12 years old and I am not ready to give up.

I would really appreciate some insight. Thanks!

That's what i thought. See my PI keeps telling me that UIUC, Michigan, Wisconsin, and UNC are back ups.. and it makes me really nervous! I also am double majoring and have a minor, if that helps at all? Also, I meant I'm applying right now, sorry. No time to retake the GRE!

Aaah, well that's a little different then. If your PI is saying that, follow his/her lead. I'm convinced that all the profs know eachother lol, and some can put in a *really, really* good word for you. B/c application processes make me nervous, I'd apply to two, good-fit mid-tiers anyway (even though you probably won't need them). But, honestly if your PI has given the green light, you're half way there.