Sending paper to other authors for feedback

Hi! I'm looking for some advice.

My advisor wants me to send a research paper I've written to some of the major researchers in the field and ask for feedback. I am scared stiff at the prospect. I'm scared of being annoying, wasting their time, or sounding conceited or stupid, or all of the above.

Does anybody have any tips on how to word my emails so as not to offend (or make myself a laughingstock)?

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear. I don't know your field specifically but that seems like terrible advice. My advisor will send our drafts to people he knows personally (and I assume they reciprocate). This is common. Cold emailing strangers, however, seems fraught with peril. Really, that's what peer review is for. Unfortunately, you're in a dilemma because it's your advisor telling you to do this.

How can we make the best of this bad situation...?

Start with self-deprecation: I am a PhD student, this is a new area of research, I am looking for advice....

Follow with flattery: As an expert in this area, your advice or opinion on this would be very helpful... I enjoyed papers X and Y immensely....

End by tempering expectations: I know you are probably quite busy, I appreciate any attention you can give, I would completely understand if you don't have the time.

Optional inclusion: Pass the buck. My advisor and co-author asked me to send this paper to you because he/she though you would have valuable feedback...

Stronger passing the buck: Although I was hesitant to impose on your time, my advisor asked me to send this to you because....

(I'd personally go with buck passing option #1)

Edited by lewin00