Program Specific Questions - Fall 2013

That's my concern, two espressos. I'm glad I'm not the only one and I am pretty sure that bit wasn't there on Thursday/Friday. I can't figure out what they could possibly want? Mine also says not reviewed but previous years suggest that they only change the status for a rejection. (Though that doesn't mean that will be the case this year.)

That's my concern, two espressos. I'm glad I'm not the only one and I am pretty sure that bit wasn't there on Thursday/Friday. I can't figure out what they could possibly want? Mine also says not reviewed but previous years suggest that they only change the status for a rejection. (Though that doesn't mean that will be the case this year.)

I surely hope they only change the status for a rejection, haha.  I'd like to believe we all still have a chance.  :)

Edited by Two Espressos

After panicking, mine also says "Letters of Recommendation" as not received at the bottom. I'm fairly positive that's new. At this point though, I can't imagine that would mean anything -- they might be messing with the application software or something, and that just popped up for whatever reason. All my other letters are marked as received, so, who knows? Mine also still says "Not Reviewed." Ek. 

And I also sent my GRE scores to Buffalo College on exam day, and only realized my mistake when checking on scores sent to another school. I caught it in time, but I also had to pay $25 for it. So, that's fun. Thanks again ETS! 

I am also in the "not received" at the bottom and "not reviewed" camp. So glad that I'm not the only one. I panicked about it yesterday, and then I was like, "well, if I'm screwed, I'm screwed." I'm just trying to maintain my zen until my inevitable rejection comes in.

That entire category was not there for me prior to this weekend. I checked my Buffalo status page for the first time since submission around the time the OSU news started and it was the same string of YES that it had been in late December. So my glitch (or whatever it is) happened recently which is what made me so panicky. Anyway, I am glad I asked (no more panic) and I hope we all get good news soon.

One of my letters writers just got her PhD there in 2006 (so fairly recent info), and I'm applying as there as well. She told me that funding is not guaranteed and they do what a lot of state schools do: Bring in the students they want with funding, bring in second tier students with no funding. At the lower state level (like where Colorado is), this is how they make a lot of their money: people paying for PhD's. She told me to watch out for this because if a program really wants you, they'll give you funding. If they accept you with no funding, then you were pretty much rejected and are now only a money maker.

This is very intriguing to me.  The college I've been teaching at for the past five years is going to to provide 100% funding to whatever program accepts me into their PhD program. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other schools, besides CU Boulder, that select students as "money makers," as I would obviously fill that role quite nicely.

This is very intriguing to me.  The college I've been teaching at for the past five years is going to to provide 100% funding to whatever program accepts me into their PhD program. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other schools, besides CU Boulder, that select students as "money makers," as I would obviously fill that role quite nicely.

You're probably better off aiming for funded programs -- and then trying to get things like a higher stipend, summer funding, etc. out of the fact that you already have funding secured (you can also mention that on many applications... there is usually a spot to enter grants/funding already obtained).

on Buffalo: I actually had a real problem with my letters (two of my writers claimed to have never gotten emails, so they had to send their letters directly to the grad office), so when my app still said they hadn't been received after like I month I contacted the department to ask whether or not it was just a clerical error and they said my app file was complete.  so I'm sure everything is fine for all of you as well.  and I still say not reviewed as well.

So this isn't completely program specific but I have a question. I know most programs will send out acceptances/rejections by April 15. If I get into a couple of  schools I would really like to visit the campuses before I make a decision. How long do can I expect to have before I have to tell a school yes or no? Like if I don't hear back from all of my schools until April 15 and want to visit the two schools before I decide would that be possible? Do I have to inform schools of my decision by April 15? 

April 15th is the deadline by when you need to accept or decline an offer. This is universal at all schools/programs that are CGSR compliant (this should be just about everywhere). Some waitlist offers end up going out after April 15th, but the vast majority of offers should be out already. You should have time to visit the schools between notification and April 15th, but there are no guarantees. 

April 15th is the deadline by when you need to accept or decline an offer. This is universal at all schools/programs that are CGSR compliant (this should be just about everywhere). Some waitlist offers end up going out after April 15th, but the vast majority of offers should be out already. You should have time to visit the schools between notification and April 15th, but there are no guarantees. 

Thanks for the quick response. 

I just noticed on Fordham's website that they say financial support requires 75th percentile on all sections of the GRE. Does this really mean I wouldn't qualify because of my quantitate score? That would really suck, especially since I know if I reviewed formulas and studied some I could pass that mark. :/

That kind of sucks--also, 75% is on the high side for most english applicants on the quant section (especially with the new test). The average score for applicants accepted by Duke is somewhere in the 50s. 

Edited by bluecheese

I know, right? That's why it seems fishy. I believe that was University-wide information, so maybe the department is able to skirt that requirement...

ETA: Old Gradcafe results show acceptances with far below 75th percent in Quant.

Edited by asleepawake