Program Specific Questions - Fall 2013

I've been meaning to start a thread like this for a while. Rather than posting different threads for questions about different programs, it might be nice to have a single place to ask questions about programs we're applying to as we go through the app process. I know there may be answers to these questions in previous years' threads, but I have a really hard time searching through all the old posts.

So. Here are a few things that I'm wondering as I'm getting deep into the application process.

CU Boulder: They don't guarantee funding to everyone, right? I'd love to live there, and they've already got my Lit score, but their ranking isn't fantastic and their funding situation doesn't seem that promising. What do others think about this?

Harvard: For the LOLs? Is it such a huge long shot that I shouldn't even waste my $105 ($155 including score reports)? Of course it's an awesome program, and I have family really close by, so it would be nice and convenient to go there, but I don't know if it's worth trying to apply. My subject score is a bit below 650, which they list as a suggested cutoff (is it a hard cutoff number?) on their website. Has anyone actually inquired with this program about anything? Is it too stuffy and conservative for my (somewhat non-traditional) background? I never applied to an ivy for undergrad, and I've always wanted to throw my app out to a big name school just to see what happens, but I don't know if that's just wasteful idealism...

Those are the only things really bugging me right now, but I'm sure other things will come up.

CU Boulder: They don't guarantee funding to everyone, right? I'd love to live there, and they've already got my Lit score, but their ranking isn't fantastic and their funding situation doesn't seem that promising. What do others think about this?

One of my letters writers just got her PhD there in 2006 (so fairly recent info), and I'm applying as there as well. She told me that funding is not guaranteed and they do what a lot of state schools do: Bring in the students they want with funding, bring in second tier students with no funding. At the lower state level (like where Colorado is), this is how they make a lot of their money: people paying for PhD's. She told me to watch out for this because if a program really wants you, they'll give you funding. If they accept you with no funding, then you were pretty much rejected and are now only a money maker.

Harvard: For the LOLs? Is it such a huge long shot that I shouldn't even waste my $105 ($155 including score reports)? Of course it's an awesome program, and I have family really close by, so it would be nice and convenient to go there, but I don't know if it's worth trying to apply. My subject score is a bit below 650, which they list as a suggested cutoff (is it a hard cutoff number?) on their website. Has anyone actually inquired with this program about anything? Is it too stuffy and conservative for my (somewhat non-traditional) background? I never applied to an ivy for undergrad, and I've always wanted to throw my app out to a big name school just to see what happens, but I don't know if that's just wasteful idealism...

Those are the only things really bugging me right now, but I'm sure other things will come up.

I'm applying, too, and I'll be lucky if I break 500 with my subject score. I am absolutely dreading getting those results. (On a side note, I feel like there was hardly ANY identification, which is what I spent most of my time on).

Anyway--I think it's worth a shot if you find professors who fit with your interests, and if you truly believe you will contribute something to the department (and can successfully convey this in your SoP). I'm applying because I believe I have the academic background and interests. I'm not sure my grades and test scores are stellar, but I guess it's worth a shot.

Also, I guess I'll add my own specific program question into the mix (well, not super specific): is anyone applying to their undergrad for their PhD? I did a one-year master's elsewhere, but would love to go back to where I got my BA. Thoughts?

Also, I guess I'll add my own specific program question into the mix (well, not super specific): is anyone applying to their undergrad for their PhD? I did a one-year master's elsewhere, but would love to go back to where I got my BA. Thoughts?

I think the general rule of thumb is that you shouldn't get your B.A. and Ph.D. from the same school unless that school happens to be Harvard, Yale, etc. If you hail from one of those kinds of places, I'd say go for it.

I think the general rule of thumb is that you shouldn't get your B.A. and Ph.D. from the same school unless that school happens to be Harvard, Yale, etc. If you hail from one of those kinds of places, I'd say go for it.

Thanks for the advice. It is an Ivy, though not HYP. I switched my undergrad concentration from creative writing to 20th-century pretty late in the game so never got to work with the big names in modernism in the department.

Thanks for the advice. It is an Ivy, though not HYP. I switched my undergrad concentration from creative writing to 20th-century pretty late in the game so never got to work with the big names in modernism in the department.

FWIW, i've heard the same thing about it not looking great to do your phd at the same school where you did your undergrad. moreover, i've heard cal (my undergrad) really prefers not to accept people who did their undergrad there into the phd program strictly from a stats perspective (i.e. it hurts the program from both a diversity & a perceived prestige standpoint), but i'm giving it a shot anyway.

Question RE: the length of SOP's: how exact must one be in following length requirements? For example, NYU asks for 1,000 words, and right now mine is 1,100. Is it mandatory that I cut out 100 words?

not sure about lit programs, but i worked for a consulting firm that worked with students on their MBA application packages, & the rule of thumb there was that +5% was acceptable. so in MBA-land, i'd cut at least 50 words.

that being said, with respect to SOP lengths, darkmatter suggests over on not stressing too heavily if you run over a bit. & that seems like solid (& comforting) advice.

all of this may or may not be helpful. the strength of your writing will speak for itself, right? so the most important thing seems to be to submit a piece of writing you feel is as polished & representative of your quality of work as can be. you got this.

all of this may or may not be helpful. the strength of your writing will speak for itself, right? so the most important thing seems to be to submit a piece of writing you feel is as polished & representative of your quality of work as can be. you got this.

Thanks - that is very comforting! I cut a bit, but I decided I am going to leave it about 85 words over. That way I will have something to blame when I am rejected, instead of taking it personally :)

On 11/12/2012 at 8:58 AM, rems said:

One of my letters writers just got her PhD there in 2006 (so fairly recent info), and I'm applying as there as well. She told me that funding is not guaranteed and they do what a lot of state schools do: Bring in the students they want with funding, bring in second tier students with no funding. At the lower state level (like where Colorado is), this is how they make a lot of their money: people paying for PhD's. She told me to watch out for this because if a program really wants you, they'll give you funding. If they accept you with no funding, then you were pretty much rejected and are now only a money maker.

That's good to know, thanks. I think I'm going to cut it from my list anyway, though, because it's a little farther than I want to travel and I've already got a pretty good range of schools. What I was reading just made it seem like even if you're funded, that funding isn't necessarily guaranteed for your full 5-6 years or whatever. I'm keeping them on my "apply next year if (when) I don't get in this year" list. :)

I've noticed on Duke's applicate they only have space for 1 digit after the period in a GPA. Should I round up? I don't want to misrepresent myself, but rounding down is something I'd rather not do. My real GPA will be clear on my transcripts, of course. So, if my GPA was 1.57 could I say it was 1.6 or do I have to say 1.5 (using these obviously fake low GPAs makes me feel better about my not-Duke-worthy-GPA)?

Edited by asleepawake

Do you recommend rounding down, then? Like I said, the application does not give the option of entering "1.57," only either 1.5 or 1.6. The more I think about it the more stupid it seems to even consider rounding down, when I am closer to the higher number and I have to round one way or the other.

Do you recommend rounding down, then? Like I said, the application does not give the option of entering "1.57," only either 1.5 or 1.6. The more I think about it the more stupid it seems to even consider rounding down, when I am closer to the higher number and I have to round one way or the other.

I've run into this issue on an application as well, though I cannot remember which one. My GPA is #.#9, so I'm pretty sure I'm justified in rounding that shit up. B)

I would probably round down, yes. Better to come across as humble or whatever than possibly look like you are attempting to cheat the system. I doubt it really matters either way, though.

Humility does not get one very far in grad school. In fact, it's a kiss of death.

Round up.

Email the department and ask what they prefer. Just explain: "I have a GPA that requires 2 decimal places, and your application only allows for one. In order to remain accurate, would you suggest I round up or round down to the nearest decimal?"

So to answer the question, I don't know.

Edited by rems

What does everyone think about extra documents appended to the application?

For example, some schools have a section where you can upload "additional materials." If these schools haven't asked for a CV or an abstract of courses, is it okay to upload one for them? I figure if they don't want or need it, they will just delete or ignore it. But it might be helpful if there are any questions about the transcript or things that weren't addressed in the SoP.

I'm sure this has been asked in previous years, but is there a general consensus about uploading (helpful) documents that weren't specifically requested?

I have a page attached to my transcript PDF(s) describing each literature course I took and what we covered. I use very brief descriptions like "Survey of American literature from Plymouth Rock to early 20th century" stuff like that. I just have it attached at the end as part of the PDF so if they want to see it (which one school explicitly asks for it which is what gave me the idea) it's there, and if not they just don't have to scroll down that far. I kinda see it as slipping it in under the radar so it doesn't look I'm trying to give them additional information; rather, it looks like I'm being thorough and thoughtful (that's how I'm justifying it to myself, at least).

And I would DEF upload a CV even if they don't ask for it. It can't look bad or even "presumptuous" to want them to see it, and, like you said, if they don't want to look at it they don't have to.