Program Specific Questions - Fall 2013

I'm a firm believer in condensery. If I don't make an impression in the few precious pages they require, then I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

I agree with you on this one regarding length requirements and uploading additional documents except for the CV. I personally wouldn't provide anything outside of what they ask for except for a CV -- I think CV's are standard enough that it isn't "weird" or whatever to include them with your app. Anything outside of that would be really pushing it and probably pushing the adcom's patience as well.

I had a quick, casual convo with a prof the other day about my apps, and I was telling him about how my writing sample still needs to be pared down. I also mentioned how I've read before that one can email the department and ask if a longer sample is okay. He looked really shocked when I said this, and responded: "I would absolutely not do that -- you're immediately setting yourself as that annoying student who's already asking for special attention and doesn't think they need to follow the rules." That being said, I think the same goes for additional documents.

Hey everyone, I just joined GradCafe today because I promised myself I wouldn't sign up until I was done with all of my application stuff (I kind of treated it as reward). I have been reading everything on here for the last month or so though. I got done on Tuesday, so here I am! Anyway, I'm posting here not because I have a program-specific question, but because I have a few pieces of info I got through contacting departments during the application process that might be helpful to others. Here goes:

Columbia: The grad school website and application states that they want a 1,000 word SoP, while the English Department webpage says they want a 500-word or 2-page, double-spaced one. The department "prefers" the 500-word statement.

UMass Amherst: The writing sample can be submitted via email to gradadm@grad.umass.edu or mailed. I chose to email it, because they'll confirm that it's received, and it costs nothing.

UPenn: If you applied to their program last year, they will waive the application fee if you apply again this year. You have to chose the "pay with check" option and email the grad school. I was so happy when I found out about this because it saved me $80 and it was the last school to make my re-application cut.

Florida State: If you applied there last year, there's no fee to reapply. You don't even have to notify them to have it waived, just submit the app.

UMass Amherst: The writing sample can be submitted via email to gradadm@grad.umass.edu or mailed. I chose to email it, because they'll confirm that it's received, and it costs nothing.

I have a couple of questions about this one:

-- there's a section in the online application to upload the writing sample (supporting materials), and I'm uploading mine there. I assume that's all that's needed, but this sounds like you also/alternatively emailed the graduate school with your sample attached. Anyone else have any experience/insights on this one?

-- for the TA/TO application for UMass, are you guys mailing the application form snail mail to the department? That supplemental materials section in the online app also would seem to allow additional departmental application forms, so I was thinking of uploading it there (it says at the top that it includes "departmental applications"). Anyone else already check on this?

Thanks for adding these notes, HHEoS!

I have a couple of questions about this one:

-- there's a section in the online application to upload the writing sample (supporting materials), and I'm uploading mine there. I assume that's all that's needed, but this sounds like you also/alternatively emailed the graduate school with your sample attached. Anyone else have any experience/insights on this one?

-- for the TA/TO application for UMass, are you guys mailing the application form snail mail to the department? That supplemental materials section in the online app also would seem to allow additional departmental application forms, so I was thinking of uploading it there (it says at the top that it includes "departmental applications"). Anyone else already check on this?

Thanks for adding these notes, HHEoS!

No problem, Imogene.

I uploaded my statement to the UMass app, but I also emailed it to that address. I did that because they didn't mention uploading to the app as an option for submitting the sample when I contacted Grad Admissions. Here's the message verbatim:

You can send it in hard copy or upload in pdf form and submit to this email with your full name in the subject line.

I chose to mail the TA application just to be safe. I would email Graduate Admissions just to be sure if you plan on just uploading it.

Hope this helps!

THE Ohio State requires a: "a summary page giving your undergraduate GPA and GPA for courses in English"

What exactly are they asking for? How are people formatting this? Is it just a Word document listing GPA's, or a course list with points... OR WHAT?

THE Ohio State requires a: "a summary page giving your undergraduate GPA and GPA for courses in English"

What exactly are they asking for? How are people formatting this? Is it just a Word document listing GPA's, or a course list with points... OR WHAT?

I really just gave listed both GPA's. I figured it was so they could do a quick glance at the GPA's instead of perusing through the transcripts, at least for the first round. Here is how I formatted it:

ProfLorax

GPA Information

Undergraduate GPA: x.x7

Undergraduate GPA in English: x.x1

Graduate GPA in English: x.x0

I really just gave listed both GPA's. I figured it was so they could do a quick glance at the GPA's instead of perusing through the transcripts, at least for the first round. Here is how I formatted it:

ProfLorax

GPA Information

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate it!

ProfLorax

GPA Information

That's what I did as well. I also put my GRE scores underneath that, just so they would have it all in one place. They didn't ask for that though.

I also put my graduate GPA on it even though they didn't ask for it. I would have put my GRE scores on there, but they aren't anything I want to bring extra attention to :(

In the spirit of sharing university-specific application information, I have some clarification for those who are applying to Miami University (of Ohio). The website states that no hard copies should be mailed to the department; however, the email sent after after submitting the application requests that all materials be sent via postal mail to the English Department. I called the office, and the administrative assistant clarified: Miami is currently changing its application system, so they do want all supplemental materials sent via postal mail directly to the office, including letters of recommendation. So, if you are applying to Miami, make sure you get your letter writers the forms and stamped envelopes!

In the spirit of sharing university-specific application information, I have some clarification for those who are applying to Miami University (of Ohio). The website states that no hard copies should be mailed to the department; however, the email sent after after submitting the application requests that all materials be sent via postal mail to the English Department. I called the office, and the administrative assistant clarified: Miami is currently changing its application system, so they do want all supplemental materials sent via postal mail directly to the office, including letters of recommendation. So, if you are applying to Miami, make sure you get your letter writers the forms and stamped envelopes!

Whoa, really? I called Miami last week to ask about using Interfolio, and I specifically referred to the online application and nobody mentioned this. I guess I'll triple-check before I send!

Whoa, really? I called Miami last week to ask about using Interfolio, and I specifically referred to the online application and nobody mentioned this. I guess I'll triple-check before I send!

Definitely triple-check. I've called twice (the office didn't reply to my emails). Once you submit your application, this is the email you'll receive:

In order to apply to the English Department M.A. or Ph.D. programs, you must submit the following items directly to the Director of Graduate Studies:

1. A two-to-three page personal statement of aims in relation to the degree program you seek to enter, with a cover page revealing the specific concentration area to which you are applying (Ph.D. in Composition & Rhetoric, Ph.D. in Literature, M.A. in Composition & Rhetoric, M.A. in Literature, M.A. in Creative Writing/Fiction, M.A. in Creative Writing/Nonfiction, or M.A. in Creative Writing/Poetry);

2. A writing sample appropriate to the degree concentration to which you are applying:

a. for Composition and Rhetoric or Literature, a 15-20 page analytical paper that demonstrates your scholarly abilities and your orientation toward the field.

b. for Creative Writing, 20-40 pages of fiction, creative non-fiction, or 10-15 poems, as appropriate to your genre of interest.

3. Three confidential letters of recommendation by former teachers or employers that speak to your aptitude for graduate study, accompanied by completed recommendation forms, available on the department website at http://www.units.muo...c_form_2010.pdf or you may e-mail us to request the forms.)

4. In addition to official transcripts sent to the Graduate School, please send photo copies of your transcript(s) directly to the English Department along with the your other application materials.

5. GRE scores are not required and are not considered as a basis for admission or assistantship awards. GRE scores may be useful for admitted applicants who are nominated by the English department for competitive Graduate School Academic Achievement Awards.

Send hard copy of required materials to:

Michele Simmons

(Mailing Address)

ETA: I don't believe there is a place to upload an SoP or writing sample on the online application; it's really just personal info, GPA, transcript uploads, and payment. You only receive the above information AFTER you submit the online app.

Edited by proflorax

Definitely triple-check. I've called twice (the office didn't reply to my emails). Once you submit your application, this is the email you'll receive:

Thank you for this!!! Also, did you get the impression that Miami just doesn't answer emails? I sent them a different question last week via email, and no response yet...

In the spirit of sharing university-specific application information, I have some clarification for those who are applying to Miami University (of Ohio).

In the spirit of sharing university-specific (although not application-specific) information, the MU crowd can get prickly about "(of Ohio)." My siblings both went there for undergrad, and they like to haughtily remind people that "Miami was a university when Florida still belonged to Spain." Of course, I can't imagine a scenario in which you'd clarify the location of the university to its own adcom... but just so you know! :)

Thank you for this!!! Also, did you get the impression that Miami just doesn't answer emails? I sent them a different question last week via email, and no response yet...

Yes and yes! They are good about answering phone calls, but I've sent several emails with no replies. And thanks for the heads up about (of Ohio)! I'm pretty sure I just called it Miami University, but I'll double-check before I sent out the statement of purpose!

In the spirit of sharing university-specific (although not application-specific) information, the MU crowd can get prickly about "(of Ohio)." My siblings both went there for undergrad, and they like to haughtily remind people that "Miami was a university when Florida still belonged to Spain." Of course, I can't imagine a scenario in which you'd clarify the location of the university to its own adcom... but just so you know! :)

Do you think they're reject me because I live in South Florida and they'll think I'm confused? :)

In other news, I'm also applying to the other Miami... the one with beaches.

Edited by asleepawake

Yes and yes! They are good about answering phone calls, but I've sent several emails with no replies. And thanks for the heads up about (of Ohio)! I'm pretty sure I just called it Miami University, but I'll double-check before I sent out the statement of purpose!

Ack... Well, before I bother them with a call, does anyone have specifics on the formatting of their personal statement? I assumed double-spaced was standard (especially since they allow you 2-3 pages), but another thread on here made me question my assumption...

And you're welcome!

In other news, I'm also applying to the other Miami... the one with beaches.

Ha! Touché.

Edited by katydid

DISREGARD everything I posted about Miami! I just talked to the administrative assistant, and it seems that since I submitted my application before October, I had a completely different application system. They did transition everything to online after October, which is why we have all heard different instructions.

Sigh. I thought getting started early would have been helpful, but that early start actually made this process more confusing!

Wait one gosh darn second... Did Buffalo change their writing sample length from 20-30 pp to 15-25 pp???? I've always thought it was 20-30, and I have 20-30 written down, but I just know checked it and it says 15-25. I am going crazy or what???

My Buffalo notes say 20-30 as well. I haven't spent much time on the actual app though.

Yup, my notes say 20-30 as well. Looks like they changed it. If you were planning on submitting a sample longer than 25, I would just call the department and explain the situation. I have experience with their department - very nice, friendly, understanding. I doubt they'll really care.

The sample I was going to send them was 22 pages, so this doesn't really impact my application much, luckily.

Wait one gosh darn second... Did Buffalo change their writing sample length from 20-30 pp to 15-25 pp???? I've always thought it was 20-30, and I have 20-30 written down, but I just know checked it and it says 15-25. I am going crazy or what???

I didn't hear about this, but if this is true, I'm very happy right now! My writing sample now comes in at a slightly less awkward 3 pages under the length ranges, as opposed to 8. :P

Edited by Two Espressos

Yesterday I was in the middle of adding a few paragraphs to my other writing samples that are 23 pages to make it about 27 for Buffalo, and, out of procrastination, checked the website. I'm really glad I did because I had only spent about 20 minutes on it so far, and I would have been pissed if I put a few hours into it only to find out they lowered the page number. I thought 20-30 was a little weird anyway because other schools usually ask for <20.

Good news?

The sample I was going to send them was 22 pages, so this doesn't really impact my application much, luckily.

Ditto. 22 seems to be kind of the perfect number for meeting most requirements, though I had a few schools that seemingly wanted exactly 20, so I edited out a few paragraphs. It's funny how particular some of the length requirements are... then there's Cornell with a range from 12-30. :blink:

But then F-ing UVA wants TWO totalling 25, so I am just screwed there. They are gonna get two choppy, awkward samples.

Ok, this is just a general (and probably extremely ignorant) question for everyone out there: why are you applying to schools that aren't ranked in the top 20 or 30 programs? Why bother applying to schools that are relatively unknown, and might not even fund you? Is this really something that would lead to an academic career down the road? Or are you applying for a PhD without plans to go into academia? In which case, why are you applying?

From what I've been led to understand, by my advisors and professors in general, and by articles about the academic job market, if you want a chance at an academic position after graduating a doctoral program you MUST go to a top-ranking school in your discipline. And on top of that, you have to do extremely well in the program, and publish a lot, and write a great dissertation. So why would you cripple yourself from the start by beginning your academic life in an obscure department?

Just wondering...