I am teaching two courses next semester, how far behind am I?

11Q13

I was only offered these courses last week, and I have nothing whatsoever prepared. I can borrow syllabi from professors that have taught these courses, but I will certainly need to adapt them to my strengths and weaknesses in my knowledge of the subjects. The Spring semester begins Jan 7.

Am I behind? Should I have a syllabus done already? Is there any kind of standard timeline? These are the first classes I've taught so any advice or direction would be great.

Nah, I don't think you're behind. I doubt many people finish their spring semester syllabi before the beginning of January unless they have to for other reasons. But, definitely get to work on creating a syllabus, particularly if there are books you want that the bookstore will need to order and stock for students. You should also go ahead and start pulling together the readings you'll need, class activities, etc. The more you can prepare now, the better off you'll be once the semester starts.