Fall 13' Term Application & Time Conflict

ArtfulHodge

Hi all,

I am expected to finish my undergrad BA come Summer 13'. My finals for that term will be around Sept. 3-8. I am thinking about applying to several grad schools that start their Fall 13' Term around Sept. 26. My question is, is this time frame cutting it too close? I am concerned about having my degree conferred and final transcripts developed. I realize it takes time for my current school to process the grades, documents, etc. as well as the prospective schools to process them if I am admitted. I am definitely considering applying for Spring but I'd like to get some advice as to my current situation.

I was in a very similar situation I intended to take a summer course to finish of my degree and then start grad school in the fall of 2013. What matters is when your degree is conferred not when you actually finish all the course work. Most schools only confer the degree a few times a year. So you need to check this for your school. For my school they only confer degrees at the beginning of May, August, and December. Because my summer course wouldn't be finished until mid-August, my degree would not be conferred until December. So I had to scrap that original plan and just graduate in May, instead of taking the extra summer course. You need to check when your university will confer your degree. Most grad school require that you provide a transcript or documentation that you have actually had your UG degree conferred before you start their program. Even if you have finished all the necessary course work and are just basically waiting for you UG to confer your degree, they will not accept you. This was basically the response I got from every school I asked.

Edited by tyther