What is a good CS (Subject Test) GRE score?

ab2013

Hi,

I am recently received my CS GRE Subject Test score and I am trying to determine if it is good enough to include in my application, as my major GPA is a bit on the low side. I got around a 700. Is this a decent score, or should I not include it in my application?

Thanks!

Hi ab2013,

I'd say it really, really depends on where you are applying to. What is considered a good score varies a lot between different universities, and even between MS and PhD applications. E.g. a professor at a top-20 university told me that the lower threshold to aim for for their programme was 85th percentile. Less competitive programmes likely have vastly different expectations (but, of course, few of them publish any information on that topic online). I'd say if you're in doubt, try giving the graduate administrator at the department you're applying to a call, and ask what kind of scores they are usually getting from successful applicants - they might be more willing to share this kind of information over the phone than on their website.

All that being said, if I've read the PDF on ETS's website correctly, a 700 score translates to 47th percentile. My gut feeling is that this is likely not going to help your applications for most programmes (but again, if in doubt ask them).

Hi,

I am recently received my CS GRE Subject Test score and I am trying to determine if it is good enough to include in my application, as my major GPA is a bit on the low side. I got around a 700. Is this a decent score, or should I not include it in my application?

Thanks!

1. Low GPA due to intense technical courses is more tolerable than a high GPA filled with fluffy courses.

2. You are in Ann Arbor...at the University of Michigan, right? Your GPA will be weighted by the quality of the school you attended.

3. UVa.'s CS department told us undergraduates that the CS GRE is a really tough test and many people don't do terribly well. You should include the score in your application, but know that it probably won't help too much. If you want to compensate for an undergraduate GPA on the lower side, take graduate courses in non-degree status at your target university.