UT Austin M.S. (to be followed by a Ph.D) ???

TheDarkElf

Hello all,

I had got an acceptance email from the ECE department at UT Austin a few weeks back. Since, I had applied for a Masters there (Not much research going on in my field of interest), I didn't pay much attention to the bit in the email stating that 'I was admitted to pursue "graduate studies"'.

Today, I got the official acceptance letter by post. I realized the damn thing actually said that they were admitting me to pursue a "Masters degree(to be followed by a PhD)". I guess I had by mistake selected the M.S. plus Ph.D option in one of the multiple applications I was supposed to submit. (One had to be submitted to the graduate school, the other to the department. The graduate school status check states that I have been admitted to the M.S. program :|). I am quite clear I don't want to do a PhD there. Can I still take up the offer, do the Masters degree and transfer? I don't really want to step on any toes there (and piss off potential recommenders). Any body ever have experience/ know someone who has done such a thing when offered an M.S. plus PhD?

Do advice folks. :)

TDE

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for not responding earlier... I didn't see this forum for quite a long time..Anyways I am into evolutionary computation which I want to apply to theoretical aspects of control/algorithm design. Its quite iffy whether I will do a Phd there cause there is only one Prof who does work in evo comp that interests me..

TDE

Well, I'm not going to be much help there because I'm completely on the opposite side of the spectrum (IC design), though I did do my undergrad at Texas.

Have you checked with the (separate) computer science department at UT? Your interest seems like it might fall more under their umbrella, but like I said, not my area.

@was:

Actually the Prof I want to work with is in the Comp Science school. I have applied there too.Haven't heard from them yet.

Anyways, the ECE department has told me that the M.S + PhD thing means that I can take up the offer to do a PhD there without any problems. I am also free to leave after a Masters so it sounds like a good deal at the moment to me. :)

Thanks again

TDE