...should i start job searching?

burntcheezits

I have been accepted to one school so far, but waitlisted for funding, and am still waiting to hear from 5 more schools. I won't be able to go to grad school if I don't get funding (which I think is partly doubtful because I only applied for MS programs), and by the time I find out from grad schools, it will probably be too late to look for a job (with companies who are hiring graduating undergrads right now). There are so many pros and cons to both sides....what if I get a job and have to accept it before I find out about grad school? Do I tell prospective employers that I applied to grad schools? Would many geological/environmental consulting companies hire me, knowing I applied to grad schools, under the condition that it might just be for the summer? Are there many "just-for-summer" jobs out there that would actually benefit me in the future?

Any advice or input at all would be helpful.

It really sucks to put yourself into a position where you might potentially screw over an employer, but these are tough times in the real world. You gotta look out for number one, and sometimes that means hedging your bets. Look for a job, and don't tell them you're applying to grad school if there's ANY chance that you won't get accepted somewhere. That's harsh reality. You're not the first to do it and certainly won't be the last.

If it makes you feel better, most companies hire on a 30-90 day no-fault-goodbye probationary period. That works both ways, so theoretically, within that period you can just tell them it's not working out, shake hands, and go your separate way. Don't even tell them why you left. That will avoid the awkward moment when they realize you knew it was a possibility all along. Either way, best of luck.

I'm also wrestling with this and have decided to go ahead and start applying for jobs. I'm not going full-force and don't feel comfortable networking my way into a position (don't want my friends to look bad if I DO get into school and have to bail on a job), but I've decided to get started. Realistically, it can take weeks to get a job - the applications, interview, follow-up, etc. - and you can usually stall the start date a few weeks if need be. I figure that, by the time the process is over, it'll be close enough to April 15th that I should know what my options are.

Good luck!

I'm not going full-force and don't feel comfortable networking my way into a position (don't want my friends to look bad if I DO get into school and have to bail on a job),

I'm in the same position. I just got laid off from my job, I'm here until the end of next week. I know that if I can get a job in my field in this economy, it will only be through networking. But if I end up in school, I don't want to screw anyone over. I've decided to hold of on searching until early April or so, hopefully by then, I'll have a decision, or at least be very close to knowing what I'm going to do. At least I'm eligible for unemployment.

It usually takes a while to get a job, from application to interview to offer, so the odds that you'll have one by the time you hear back from another school are pretty low. There are six weeks between now and April 15, and I know very few people who've found full-time jobs in that short a time. Get started with job applications early in order to play it safe, and deal with the problem of having both a job offer and a grad school offer in hand only if and when it comes up.

I was in the same boat - trying to decide whether I should apply to jobs while waiting on grad schools - but I decided that applying to several jobs at once and interviewing with more than one company at once was exactly like what I was doing waiting on grad schools.

As long as you say your start date is after the end of April, you should be fine. Just tell them that you sincerely appreciate their offer, but you need to pursue an opportunity elsewhere. Then ask them if you can stay in touch(if you want).

Supposedly that works... as long as you're very polite, then hopefully you won't burn bridges with perspective employers...