UMass Amherst, Smith, etc: The Pioneer Valley/Western Mass

studyincontrast

Hello Anna,

I will be joining the Organismic and Evolutionary Biology program this fall, and am currently checking the craigslist on a regular basis for housing. Anyway, I am glad to see another person coming to Amherst.

guys, check out squire village. The prices are cheap and the location is not awful, although you'll need a car for groceries. You can get to school by bus though, that runs pretty frequently. I graduated from UMass last year, and no, I'm not affiliated with squire village apartments :)

Hi everybody!

My name is Anna and I was recently accepted to the English MA/PhD program at UMass Amherst. It looks like I'm probably going, since the department is wonderful and it's an excellent match. Anyone else doing grad work in the Pioneer Valley area/Western Mass?

Aw!! I LOVE the Pioneer Valley :) I'm finishing up my undergraduate degree at Mount Holyoke. PM me if you have any specific questions about the area. I will say that Northampton is one of my favourite places ever. I think Amherst can't hold a candle to it; however, the free bus system will take you to both places. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Does anyone who has funding at UMass know if their health insurance for grad students covers spouses?

I'm following you everywhere! I just visited UMass, and their health insurance does cover spouses and dependents. It's apparently really good insurance too. The UMass grad student union is very strong.

I'm following you everywhere! I just visited UMass, and their health insurance does cover spouses and dependents. It's apparently really good insurance too. The UMass grad student union is very strong.

You are like a one-person UMass cheering team!

BTW, I don't know what your living situation is, but we just looked online at an apartment that was in a pretty nice place, and for a decent price, but too small for us. If you want, I can send you the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Their health insurance is so amazing, it actually equalizes a funding offer I got from another school that was $1000's more.

Here are some details: http://www.aetnastudenthealth.com/schoo ... et0809.pdf

Their health insurance is so amazing, it actually equalizes a funding offer I got from another school that was $1000's more.

Here are some details: http://www.aetnastudenthealth.com/schoo ... et0809.pdf

That link was very helpful, thanks!

Though their insurance is way worse than what I currently have, so that sucks. They don't even cover vision or dental, it's just a "discount" plan? And it's essentially an HMO with a student health center as your primary care physician? That would be terrible, if it's anything like my undergrad student health center. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the benefits, but that's definitely going to be a step down, and I don't even have great insurance.

That link was very helpful, thanks!

Though their insurance is way worse than what I currently have, so that sucks. They don't even cover vision or dental, it's just a "discount" plan? And it's essentially an HMO with a student health center as your primary care physician? That would be terrible, if it's anything like my undergrad student health center. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the benefits, but that's definitely going to be a step down, and I don't even have great insurance.

I'm not sure what part you're referring to, and my comprehension of insurance documents is pretty low. But the grad students I met there all emphasized that dental and vision were covered and that it was the best insurance they'll probably have in their lives. I don't think the PPO is necessarily university-based, because they said you get free therapy with anyone. They really wouldn't shut up about how great UMass's insurance is, and I can definitely say that their maximums/copays/deductibles are way better than anything I've seen anywhere else.

Maybe you should contact your department for more info. You can also see more here: http://www.aetnastudenthealth.com/stu_c ... pID=100106

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use