School Suggestions

spins1390

Hey everyone,

I've been looking at these boards for quite awhile and I have finally decided to post. I am wondering if anyone could suggest some schools/professors I should look into with my applications (Fall 2014).

Just some background. I'm currently finishing up my MA in History (American history) but at a Canadian university. I want to go on the do my PhD, and I have decided it would be best to pursue it in the United states. My current research focuses on representations of science and technology in American culture following World War Two, and before the Vietnam war. For my PhD I would like to do a similar topic, but due to course work I have become more interested in the period from c.1880 to 1930. Specifically I'm interested in the relationship between science and Modernism, and the persistence of "antimodern" belief in science and medicine. Some schools I have been looking at are Yale (a reach school), University of North Carolina, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Rutgers.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, and many thanks in advance!

Depending on who is around you should look at Harvard, Hopkins, Penn (HSS not the general history department), Princeton...

USF was also mentioned by someone looking over my shoulder but you should check at the faculty. I'm at princeton and I would look across both the americanists and the historians of science. Off the top of my head Rebecca Rix, Allison Isenberg and Erika Milam are people at Princeton who would take an interest in such an application.

It might be worth looking into Ann Fabian at rutgers, although she is in American studies. 2nd Penn (particularly sociology and science PhD). You might want to look at Stanford. Vanderbuilt also has a couple of history of med people.

Thanks for all the advice!

Ann Fabian is who I was thinking of if I went to Rutgers, I was also thinking about the potential of working with someone like John Kasson at UNC. I am interested with the persistence of folklore, the occult and other beliefs that run against the trend of Modernism in a general sense, the American south is an area that interests me in this regard.

Also, I am a bit hesitant to apply to a History of Science program, I'm more inclined to get a 'regular' history degree in American history and focus on cultural history and science and technology. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again for all the wonderful insight!

• 4 weeks later...

Normally I would say to stay away from "studies" degrees (Medieval Studies, Renaissance Studies, etc).  However, with the History of Sci Tech, I would make an exception.  There are several excellent and well-respected programs that I am aware of, and even while doing a general history course, I've run into sci tech professors and authors in one way or another.  I wouldn't write it off so quickly.  Certainly look at Harvard's program. 

Just FYI re Kasson at UNC - from what I've heard he's no longer accepting new students (he's cutting back before retirement.) You should definitely contact him yourself to make sure, but since I heard that I thought it worth letting you know sooner rather than later.