One-year masters program in mathematics

Does anyone know of some good one-year Math Master's programs?

I know that Cambridge has Part III, but from what I have heard it is extraordinarily competitive and the evaluation is focused on the student being able to parrot the material that he or she learned. I would love to do a program in which the focus is on actually understanding the material, and the students work together to learn the material.

As a bit of background, I am completing a one-year Master's program in theoretical physics right now. I feel that knowing more mathematics will be very useful in physics, so I'd like to spend some time learning more math before starting my PhD in physics. However, I don't want to take too much time out of doing the physics - hence, I am looking for something which lasts only one year.

Thank you very much for your help!

1 year masters programs: Ecole polytechnique in france (Masters II) , which is the second year of the masters program, I think you qualify for it since you have a masters in physics, also there is a good scholarship there called the Hadamard something, u will find it when u look, I think since u r based in canada u might know french as well but i dont think this will be a problem

There is also phase I at Berlin mathematical school which is a strong program as well, it takes 1.5 years though.

Also, many english schools have similar 1 year systems to cambridge like Edinburgh (which is Scottish but still), also Warwick i think.

Virginia Tech has some 1 year masters program for international students though I dont know much details

As for the study environment: i think that's up to u for the most part, Tim Gowers (famous mathematician working in Cambridge) says that understanding the material is always better and easier than just memorizing stuff for the test, u can always find colleagues to form study groups and work through Cambridge together, also I hear Cambridge part III is not that competitive since they take many students (100 ?) , I think the problem is mainly with funding

As far as I'm aware: Part III is not hugely competitive for entry, but it is once you're there. However, this is simply because some departments in Cambridge choose their PhD applicants from the pool of people who do Part III, so there are a lot of people strongly competing for a very limited number of PhD spots.

If you don't want to do a PhD in Cambridge, then Part III isn't so bad. However, I have also heard they have a strong focus on material to be learned and repeated. It's hard to say how accurate this is: it probably strong depends on which lecturers you have.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're coming from a background in theoretical physics, then part III might actually be a good choice, as you're free to mix courses from pure maths and theoretical physics. There are no restrictions whatsoever as to how you can combine courses, so you get a lot of freedom to do whatever interests you most.

Elaborating on what Statsfrommaths already said:

Yes, part III is rather competitive if you want a distinction. The upshot is, if you're applying to North American universities for a PhD, then you would get your offers long before the exams, and really need not be overly concerned about your performance. Simply passing part III is fairly easy. Most exams are indeed of the regurgitating material from lectures variety, but it depends on the particular course.

Admissions to part III is indeed not very competitive. My impression is that essentially the criteria are (i) are you likely able to pass the course and (ii) are you able to pay for it. (ii) is often a bigger problem than (i), especially if you're international.

Oxford also has a one year masters on maths and theoretical computer science that I've heard very good things about, though that may not be exactly what you're looking for coming from physics. Imperial is also very good and has a course on 'quantum fields and fundamental forces' (or something like that) that looks very interesting, but of course that's theoretical physics not pure maths. They may have something in maths as well, don't know. Outside of those universities Warwick also has a very high reputation in maths, no idea if they have a masters though.

Generally most Masters in England are only one year. Can't think of anything else in particular right now, but I'm sure there's many other interesting programmes around.

By the way, I also know a few people who did the Masters in Paris (I'm guessing it's the same one that laplace mentioned, though I honestly don't know what university in particular they were based at), and they seemed quite happy with the programme.