Including an Abstract Formatting...

rems

... I am using a chapter of my MA thesis as my writing sample, and I'm considering including the abstract along with it in order to clarify the overall tone of the piece, and because I feel as though it's an important component of the piece.

So, is anyone else out there also including an abstract with their's and, if so, how are you formatting your document? As in, how are you designating where the abstract ends and the body of the paper begins? Are you including a quick preface to explain that there's an abstract first? I'm not sure what the "etiquette" is for something like this.

Berkeley's writing sample required 10 pages, of either a complete paper or an excerpt of another paper with a one page abstract preceding it and a page of references at the end.

I chose an excerpt from a longer paper so I included an abstract (and no references because I had citations in the footnotes). Others on the board said if there weren't any guidelines for formatting to just make it organized and easy to read.

Full Name

Application #

Writing Sample

Title of Work

Subtitle

Abstract

Abstract text - left aligned, 1.5 spaced (I would have done single space, but there was too much text)

On the next page:

Excerpt

Text - right aligned, double-spaced

Oh and include page numbers!

Fiddle with it and see what works for your paper and then you can judge how much white space should be between titles and such.

I hope this helps :)

Edited by theregalrenegade