2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

International applicant.

Bachelor of Veterinary Science (DVM equivalent), reputed university INDIA - 73%
MS (parasitology) - University of Georgia - 3.6 (As of now)

GRE- V-480 53%
Q- 700 64%
A- 3.5

Research experience- Now a Graduate Research Assistant at University of Georgia- 2 second author paper (Under review)..1 first author paper (under preparation), 2 oral and 3 poster presentations at national and regional conferences.

LOR _ might be good ones

Applying to - Vanderbilt, Pittsburgh, UNC, Cornell, Wake forest, UGA, Northwestern, WashU, NYU-Sackler (Biomedical Sciences), Rice, UGA (Cell biology), UGA (Infetious diseases), UCSD, UT Austin (biology), U Iowa (Immunology)

Accepted - 0

Interview- Cornell (ID), UGA (ID), UGA (Cell bio)

Rejected - 0

I shouldn't probably have shouted out so loudly that I didn't get any rejections so far!

UCSF Tetrad Application Status: DENIED! :-(

Well, they said they accept 2 international students out of approx. 100 international applicants. This would habe been like winning the lottery jackpot anyway.

I have a question: what's people's advice on emailing admin committees once you know invites have been sent out but you haven't received anything yourself. For example. a few people here have got CSHL interview offers and I haven't heard a peep. It's not going to crush me if I get a rejection I just really want to know. Is it common to email admin asking a general question about when interview offers are sent out, or is that really pushy?

I emailed Molecular Virology and Microbiology at Baylor College of Medicine yesterday because my active program was moved to this second-choice program. And I was told that they just began reviewing applications (be aware, not just began reviewing MY applications)! So anyone who also applies for BCM and hasn't heard from them, like me, should just be patient. And: " If you are selected for an interview, we will call or email you."

It made me sad because in my email, I mentioned three professors that I am interested in. However, the administrator who replied my email gave me a short notice that all of them do not accept students this year. What a pity!

Invite from UWisc IPIB! Pretty excited. However, both interview options overlap with my current interviews.

Hopefully I can work it out with Cornell; they had the fewest number of days overlapped (one). Chicago was all three days.

PHEW!

I contacted the Austin Admissions Committee yesterday as soon as i received my interview invite to try and reschedule due to a conflict. I woke upt this morning to --  "You are the official last person I am confirming for the January visit". A good start for the day!

Invite from UWisc IPIB! Pretty excited. However, both interview options overlap with my current interviews.

Hopefully I can work it out with Cornell; they had the fewest number of days overlapped (one). Chicago was all three days.

Congrats!!! What were the days for IPiB?

I submitted all of my apps on the first of December. 

Damn. I hope I wasn't too late. My overall GPA is nowhere near as high as most people on here, but I did really well on my GRE and my major GPA is respectable. I'm not sure if they will take that into account, though.

Damn. I hope I wasn't too late. My overall GPA is nowhere near as high as most people on here, but I did really well on my GRE and my major GPA is respectable. I'm not sure if they will take that into account, though.

What kind of research experience do you have? Also since your App list is texas heavy, they may have opted to invite people applying to other competitive programs first?

What kind of research experience do you have? Also since your App list is texas heavy, they may have opted to invite people applying to other competitive programs first?

I'm working in a professor's lab right now and writing a thesis-style paper for an undergraduate research program I'm in. I haven't published anything, unfortunately. I'm graduating in three years, so this is the first year I've actually had room in my schedule for research hours. It's kind of scary seeing the people with two and three years working in multiple labs. UTSW is the best program I'm applying to, since I'm limited to the north Texas area due to family issues.

I'm working in a professor's lab right now and writing a thesis-style paper for an undergraduate research program I'm in. I haven't published anything, unfortunately. I'm graduating in three years, so this is the first year I've actually had room in my schedule for research hours. It's kind of scary seeing the people with two and three years working in multiple labs. UTSW is the best program I'm applying to, since I'm limited to the north Texas area due to family issues.

I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully you hear something soon!

Congrats, cleverfool! Who contacted you for the IPiB interview invite? Was it a POI or the program chair?

Congrats, cleverfool! Who contacted you for the IPiB interview invite? Was it a POI or the program chair?

It was a professor, and I'm pretty sure he isn't the program chair, but it seemed like a pretty standardized letter. And, I honestly don't remember if that app. had a place to designate faculty; I know I didn't name anyone in my SoP, nor did I get in contact with anyone ahead of time.