2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

@Cogidubnus and @thej-hizzle
I too received a reject from UCSF, and looking at the results section made me feel better.  Also it helps that I have had a couple of interview offers and I knew a rejection was going to come sooner than later.  I'm excited about the Baylor interview, just due to the amount of research being conducted in my desired field.

Anyone else leaving for interviews, tomorrow? Excited? Nervous? Feeling all feelings at once? That last one is where I'm at!

I am!! I'm actually sitting at the airport right now! I just hope once this interview is finished, I won't be as nervous about the other ones. I've never been to NYC, so I'm pretty excited about that part :)

Good luck interviewers :D  maybe you could share some insights for the rest of us when you get back.

I would love to! I'm so anxious for this first interview experience, and hopefully after the first, I will ease my nerves and maybe other peoples' nerves as well.

I am!! I'm actually sitting at the airport right now! I just hope once this interview is finished, I won't be as nervous about the other ones. I've never been to NYC, so I'm pretty excited about that part :)

Yay! I'm packing now, will head to the train station in a couple of hours. It's getting real!

Ladies, did you carry a purse or bag with you to your interviews? Do people usually take copies of their CV or any other relevant papers?

On 1/16/2013 at 11:38 PM, bhammerson said:

Hey Winteriscoming (cool username by the way),

Did you change your uw to a rejection because of the person saying the invites are done being sent, or actually get a letter?

Thanks, glad u like it!  :lol:

I changed it because of what the person said, but I haven't heard from UW.  -_-

Did you?

I asked UW-Madison about attending an alternative date as their schedule weekend overlapped with one I had already scheduled. Been almost a week and the only reply I have received was that they would need to talk to the chair. Not sure what to make of the situation.

Edited by mrmolecularbiology

I saw on the results page that someone else got an email from BU PiBS about not getting in the first round of invites but still being "under consideration" and we would be notified mid-March. Does this mean we've been essentially waitlisted for an interview? Could they have possibly sent this to everyone?

I saw on the results page that someone else got an email from BU PiBS about not getting in the first round of invites but still being "under consideration" and we would be notified mid-March. Does this mean we've been essentially waitlisted for an interview? Could they have possibly sent this to everyone?

Sounds like it, but have they sent out any rejections yet?  It could be that this is their "first wave" of interviews and they have yet to determine who the "second wave" of interviewees will be.

Has anybody heard from Caltech or Rockefeller yet? It seems like we should hear something soon based on previous years' results. Also, I'm still waiting on my rejections from Princeton, UChicago, and Harvard. (I know that I was told that adcoms are still looking at apps for Princeton and UChicago, but I have a feeling that just means I'm sitting in a reject pile.) Is there a particular reason why some of these schools take their sweet time sending out rejections? Is it so they can replace people who can't make it to interviews if need be? I suspect that's what happened with me at Columbia, though I can't be sure, obviously.

I was surprised to see the comment in the Results that NW IBiS will be sending out invites for the next few weeks. Was that from someone around here? I thought their interviews were usually pretty early in Feb. I'd already marked them off my list as a rejection (sadly...the only school I applied to that wouldn't require me to move).

Based on the 5 BU emails now posted on the results, I'm guessing everyone either got an invite or got that. Oh well...

I just got one for bioinformatics too; if you want I can email right now and ask if that's it/

I was surprised to see the comment in the Results that NW IBiS will be sending out invites for the next few weeks. Was that from someone around here? I thought their interviews were usually pretty early in Feb. I'd already marked them off my list as a rejection (sadly...the only school I applied to that wouldn't require me to move).

I was also surprised to see that. NU IBiS has two interview weekends, one of which is at the very end of February. I was told that slots were filling up very quickly though when deciding between the two dates and am surprised they're still sending out invites.

Do you know much else about IPiB btw? There are very, very few submissions on the results page and it's already a month past the deadline.

I only applied to two computational biology programs, Duke and CMU/Pitt. It was my own stupid fault for not writing my SOP earlier. I just wish they would reject me, since they have both already sent invites. This way I at least I can wholeheartedly cogitate my failure in life. 

I only applied to two computational biology programs, Duke and CMU/Pitt. It was my own stupid fault for not writing my SOP earlier. I just wish they would reject me, since they have both already sent invites. This way I at least I can wholeheartedly cogitate my failure in life. 

Don't anguish. I did last year, but you'll get through it and do better next time around. Plus, you still have hope!

I was also surprised to see that. NU IBiS has two interview weekends, one of which is at the very end of February. I was told that slots were filling up very quickly though when deciding between the two dates and am surprised they're still sending out invites.

Do you know much else about IPiB btw? There are very, very few submissions on the results page and it's already a month past the deadline.

Not really, sorry! The communications from them (mostly email, and a phone call from Elyse Meuer to set up the travel stuff) have been prompt, but pretty brief.

Has anybody heard from Caltech or Rockefeller yet? It seems like we should hear something soon based on previous years' results. Also, I'm still waiting on my rejections from Princeton, UChicago, and Harvard. (I know that I was told that adcoms are still looking at apps for Princeton and UChicago, but I have a feeling that just means I'm sitting in a reject pile.) Is there a particular reason why some of these schools take their sweet time sending out rejections? Is it so they can replace people who can't make it to interviews if need be? I suspect that's what happened with me at Columbia, though I can't be sure, obviously.

It says on the Rockefeller website that they will send out interview invites next week.