2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

Nebube, I can't speak to the first part, though I think it would be strange for them to let you know day-of for an interview, but as far as this goes:

Also, they wanted me to make a list of the POIs that I would consider rotating with. Is it possible that none of the professors in my list wanted to interview with me?

I wouldn't necessarily read too much into it. All my interview requests so far have asked for a list of potential POIs, even when I included one in my SoP/application. Just be honest, and list as many as you can without going completely out of your area of interest.

Edited by cleverfool

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding skype interviews. 2 days ago I have received an e-mail from UIUC for a Skype Interview. The available dates were today and next monday (Jan 25 and Jan 28) and they said that they will let me know the date and time of the interview. Although I have replied the e-mail and said that both dates were ok for me, I haven't heard back from them yet. I sent the e mail again today in case they didn't see. Is it common that they let you know the interview time at the very last minute?

Also, they wanted me to make a list of the POIs that I would consider rotating with. Is it possible that none of the professors in my list wanted to interview with me?

I am really worried about the interview since UIUC is one of my top choices and they offered an interview although the POI that I have put on my SOP is not taking any students this year.

Hmm... normally they confirmed the date at least 3 or 4 days before. They'll probably interview you Jan 28, don't worry! 

If they offer you an interview although your POI does not accept students this year, it means they really like you, so as cleverfool said, be honest and list the  potential POIs for you. It will be fine, you'll see!  :)

Anyone else going to UT southwestern next week? And what does smart casual mean?

I'll be there. "Smart casual" is code for "business casual" for the Interviews on Friday. For the other events it means "casual" but not anything too revealing or inappropriate - hence "smart" ;). Typical Dallas attire requires a bit more effort than a T-shirt and jeans, so try and imagine that when packing. Hope it helps! See you next week! 

So do places usually send out all the interviews at once, or is it kind of a rolling thing? Really, if I see others getting interview offers, is it safe to assume that I've been rejected?

It depends on the school. For one of mine, all interviews were sent out on the same day. For the other two, interviews were sent out over a period of a couple of days. I remember seeing someone post an invite for my dream school, and I was sad for a day thinking that they all went out on the same day. I got my invite the next day, and someone else received their invite 3 days later.

I'll be there. "Smart casual" is code for "business casual" for the Interviews on Friday. For the other events it means "casual" but not anything too revealing or inappropriate - hence "smart" ;). Typical Dallas attire requires a bit more effort than a T-shirt and jeans, so try and imagine that when packing. Hope it helps! See you next week! 
Thanks! See you there

Sigh. Still haven't heard any word from UT Southwestern. Any one else here is also waiting for it? I submitted my application (basic science program) way before the priority deadline. And emailed twice about the progress, but no reply.

Sooo... I am interviewing at a school this weekend that they promised to send me a detailed itinerary the week before the interview. They just scheduled me this week, and while I have the flight information, I know nothing else. I e-mailed them, earlier, but got no response... and I leave on Sunday. Any ideas on what to do? Just go with it?

Well I have heard back from all the schools to which I applied. I only wish I would have recieved an interview from UWashington microbiology program. Otherwise, it has been great checking this website and my email a few thousand times over the past month and a half. Good luck to all on their interviews.

The number of people, male and femaile, wearing suits at my interview was about 50/50. This goes for the other departments that were there interviewing at the same time. The interviews were very exhausting, but they are great about not making you wait too long for the decision.

The number of people, male and femaile, wearing suits at my interview was about 50/50. This goes for the other departments that were there interviewing at the same time. The interviews were very exhausting, but they are great about not making you wait too long for the decision.

Biotechie, congrats for getting accepted to Baylor!

Thanks! Congrats to you on UPenn! I am going to this interview, this weekend, but I may decline any others. It would be between Baylor and UF, anyway since I haven't heard from UCSD.

Official rejection from Stanford. Glad to finally know. Now just waiting for Berkeley to give me the official no.

Another no thanks from Stanford. But UCSF is also a great option! I got a no thanks from them, but a miracle invite from Berkeley (somehow...).

Guys, I need help! I had an interview with a potential supervisor from U British Columbia. Before he decided to interview me, he asked me to send him my transcripts and my recs had to sent him their letters. He told me that he was interviewing a couple of other students and if he decided to offer me a position, I would have to apply to the experimental medicine program at UBC. 

Today, he offered me a position with a stipend (he has been awarded with a pretty good grant)!!! And asked me to inform him on my decision ASAP because he wants me to begin in August-September. 

But I'm kind of lost now... 

Does this mean that I have to apply to the program, but I'm unofficially accepted? (maybe because his grant would cover the expenses and not the department?)

Any thoughts??  :wacko:  :blink:

Also, a note on wardrobe: almost everybody wore a suit, regardless of gender.  This wasn't true at my first interview, but that's because that program sent us an email specifically telling us not to wear suits.  

I really don't want to wear a suit but i'm hoping it's not a problem. Had a 3-day interview event in the UK the other day and about 70% of the guys were wearing suits but only around 20% of them were invited back to the one-on-one interviews. I don't want to draw any conclusions about that except that I really don't think it matters either way (although one of my professors has said in the past that if anything his immediate reaction to a prospective student wearing a suit is a negative one which, if I were a professor, I imagine would be the same for me).