"hand on experience, not just lectures"

Primula

Hello everybody;

one application asks for all techniques I am familiar with - where I have "hand on experience, not just from lectures".

Okay, I am really not sure what does count and what does not.

Do practical classes count? Where we just followed the protocols, and did it only once or twice... sometimes three times, but not more? I know it's more than "just a lecture", but on the other hand, it's just a very basic experience.

And techniques I've used a bit in my project, but again, I've only followed protocols someone else had written, no troubleshooting, no modifications etc.

What would you list?

I'd interpret that wording to include things like practical labwork, even if it is supervised and following protocols. There's still a huge difference between reading about a procedure on a powerpoint slide, and actually performing it yourself. (NB, I'm not that familiar with lab techniques, but wouldn't one almost always be following a protocol anyways?)

If unsure just make sure you are clear about the nature of your experience (i.e. mention specifically that you X in a lab practical under supervision), just to make sure you're not misrepresenting anything.

How is the question asked? Are you expected to attach a page, write a paragraph or just list them in a small text box? If I had to answer the question with only the details given here, I'd list things I've done in lab courses as well as research experience, but I would try to qualify the experience somehow.

e.g.

Practical Skill A (sophomore lab course)

Practical Skill B (senior lab course)

Practical Skill C (senior thesis) etc.

I think it means that you should mention any practical experience you have, whether in a course lab or project. That is, occasions where you actually did experiments yourself according to certain protocols in a lab setting rather than simply read about them in the scope of a lecture, even if you didn't come up with the protocol yourself.