Anyone else stressed out?

joss10

I'm in a similar boat. We are waiting on my offer so we can settle in a new home but my partner is applying to jobs everywhere I've applied. It will just be awful if she gets a job in one place and I'm accepted elsewhere. We'll see.

Similar situation, as well!  Except, my hubby is waiting until I decide where to go before he starts applying for jobs.  But, the second I get an acceptance, we will have to meet with a realtor and get our house on the market... yikes.  And, if he can't find a job, he will just have to stay at his current job until he does, which means we'd have to live in separate cities for a while.  We have lived in separate places for a few months before, but I am really hoping it doesn't come to that :(

I am European and my girlfriend is American, so for us the problem also has to do with VISAs.

We are both applying for PhDs in the same cities, but I don't really know what are the chances that we get in a geographically "feasible" combination of programs.

Just thinking about all the things that could go wrong makes me sad :-(

Same situation as wmnshlthsoc and amlobo. We are waiting until offers go out before applying anywhere job-wise. We do plan to move in the very early summer to acclimate ourselves to the area, though. 

Edited by Willows

I guess I didn't mention...my fiance is applying to residencies at the same time. So after I find out where I was accepted, we have to decide where we want to go and she has to submit her choices by February 23rd. So...I have to make my decisions by then.

That sucksssss.  If I were you, I'd definitely start contacting all the school you haven't heard from in early February (which will be most of them) explaining the situation, that's is a special thing, and you're very interested in their program, but you need to plan ahead because of residency matching.  Most academics at least ought to be sympathetic to the two body problem.  I mean, it couldn't hurt at least.  Send your message to the Director of Graduate Students, not the department secretary.  Put urgent or time-sensitive in the subject so that it's definitely read.. 

I'm in a similar boat. We are waiting on my offer so we can settle in a new home but my partner is applying to jobs everywhere I've applied. It will just be awful if she gets a job in one place and I'm accepted elsewhere. We'll see.

Same situation as wmnshlthsoc and amlobo. We are waiting until offers go out before applying anywhere job-wise. We do plan to move in the very early summer to acclimate ourselves to the area, though. 

In my family, we always tell the story about how clear it was that my father was in love with my mother (she was a little more apathetic and focused on her own career) because he early applied for jobs near all the small midwestern towns where my mom was applying to graduate school  Congratulations to you to for having such loving partners who're be willing to follow you to the ends of the earth!

I am European and my girlfriend is American, so for us the problem also has to do with VISAs.

We are both applying for PhDs in the same cities, but I don't really know what are the chances that we get in a geographically "feasible" combination of programs.

Just thinking about all the things that could go wrong makes me sad :-(

One of my European colleagues and her boyfriend both applied to graduate schools at the same time, but ended up in cities a few hours apart from each other (a doable weekend, but not a doable commute).   It's worked out pretty well for them, they just got married last summer!

My experience last year was that there was surprisingly little overlap between school visit events. Of the seven places I was looking at, two schools on the opposite side of the country had visiting weekends at the same time and I had to choose (though one had been my last choice, so not a difficult decision), and two schools in the same area had visit events on the same weekend, so I just split my time between the two. I have to imagine there was some level of coordination, but I don't have any actual info on that.

I did run into many people who visited schools outside the official visiting time slots, so that can definitely be arranged, though I don't know how much departments reimburse/subsidize those trips. Everyone seemed to make it work, though.

I think I will sleep for days if I get a positive response.  This is surprisingly rough on me - I don't remember this being as stressful the last time I applied to school.  I know those of you already in programs will just tell me and the rest of us to chill out, but I have to get this off my chest.

Anyone want to claim either of the ND acceptances?  It's great knowing 2 of the schools I've applied to have started sending stuff out and I haven't heard anything yet.

Congrats to everyone who are already getting acceptances!  But I'm still going to be bitter about it haha.

Anyone want to claim either of the ND acceptances?  It's great knowing 2 of the schools I've applied to have started sending stuff out and I haven't heard anything yet.

Congrats to everyone who are already getting acceptances!  But I'm still going to be bitter about it haha.

I think those are just interview invites and not acceptances.

I'm one of the results posted.  It is just an interview/visit, but like the Colonel, I am very excited!  

From what I have gathered Rice and ND are the only two that do visit days that I know of.  Maybe Emory too??? I know its not many though.  I am scared though, I do not know what to expect.  Can anyone provide any insight as to what we will be doing and how they will be "evaluating" us?  I am guessing those two days are essentially a giant interview that probably weighs very heavily on our admission.  Will there be formal interviews or is the whole event casual?  Between this recent invitation and student teaching I am quite stressed right now, lol.  But... I will admit, an invitation felt very good and helped me gain a lot of confidence about my app.

For Notre Dame, Rice, and Emory interviews...

I am advised by a faculty member at one of these schools (won't tell you which to remain anonymous). The faculty member said that they fly their top applicants (Congratulations!) out to see if they're actually going to be a good fit for the department. This faculty member said that they generally look for people that fit within the culture of the department. You're being judged not only on your research interests and how you perform in the interview--your overall character and behavior will be evaluated. Simply put, be yourself. They want to accept students that they can endure being around for at least 4 to 5 years. Be friendly and personable. 

Take from this what you want.

Uh time zones.... The 8 hours silence period, also known as my working hours, before the states wake up and go to work.

Yesterday - One of my LOR's sent out private letters to her friends at the places I applied to. I received word that my profile (i.e. research interests/background not the rest) is exactly what they want but that the financial situation is taking it's toll on number of accepted students.

I was one of the U of Washington acceptances...I am SO EXCITED

Congrats! You should go post on the acceptances thread (more organized for future cohorts) and post any stats you feel like sharing!

I almost applied to U of Washington, but then changed my mind. Great program!