Mechanical Engineering undergrad from Saudi Arabia

Atif A

Hello Everyone.

This is my first post so here goes. I completed my undergrad a year and a half (Mechanical Engineering) at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM), Saudi Arabia and I am considering the following schools for a Masters in Mechanical Engineering for the Spring Semester 2014:

1. University of Texas, Austin

2. Texas A&M

3. University of Florida

4. University of Colorado, Boulder

5. Virginia Tech

6. Pennsylvania State University

7. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champagne

8. Carnegie Mellon University

9. Rice University (my father went to Rice for his Masters)

10. University of Maryland

I dont think it would be wise to apply to all these schools in one go so I want to narrow it down to a couple of choices to maximize my acceptance. My profile is as follows:

• Cumulative Gpa: 3.34 out of 4
  • Major Gpa: 3.6 out of 4
  • ASME conference papers on: a. Design of a Renewable Energy System b. Design of a noise reduction system for Compressors
  • Research experience: a. Industrial design project for a year b. Reverse osmosis membrane research for one year (MIT-KFUPM collaboration)
  • Work experience: Will complete around 2 years in a well recognised multinational company (Oil and Gas) as Mechanical Design Engineer.
  • Funding: Self funded
  • Core Research Interests: System level design of Hybrid power generation systems.
  • TOEFL score:117/120
  • GRE: Not yet taken

I am considering to apply for a Masters of Engineering program in the more competitive programs (such as UT Austin) to maximize my chances of getting in.

I understand it may be difficult to evaluate the acceptance rates of individuals based on the above information but I would appreciate everyones input on which universities I should focus on and which programs may be best suited for my profile. Thanks!

It's good that you have research experience and work experience. Those are competitive schools to get into, so with your GPA which is good but not very high, you're gonna need a pretty high GRE score, a strong SOP and excellent LORs. I'd suggest Picking around 4-5 from this list and adding 2 schools from the 20's and 30's ranks.

Good luck.

Thanks for your input guys. And yeah I've been told being self-funded makes the chances slightly in your favor. So What do you you guys think about applying for a Masters of Engineering program instead of Masters of Science?