MIT TPP - Fall 2013

mkh1991

Ok, so I noticed there isn't a thread on here about the TPP at MIT, for fall 2013 admissions, so I made one (perhaps a little too late). I'm applying this year, but I'm incredibly apprehensive about my chances.

For what it's worth, I'm a final year undergraduate engineering student from a decent Indian university, my GPA is 8.8/10 (my biggest concern)

GRE: V: 165 Q: 170 AWA: 6.0

LORs are fairly good, essay should be okay. No publications, significant scholarships or real technology policy related work experience, but I have decent research internship experience at a multinational FMCG's R&D centre, and extra-curriculars which might be relevant.

So, profiles, please! All you studly people. :-/

I am applying for the TPP program as well, from what you shortly describe your GRE is perfect your GPA very good and your profile very interesting :). I have a set of procedure questions, please if someone is certain about the answers his/her reply would be valuable:

1) Do you know if the department code for the IELTS score is the same as the GRE's ?If not what is the department code for the IELTS, I cannot seem to find this information in any of the mit websites.

2) Besides the official transcript, do they want us to deliver any other document by mail?for example the resume and the cover letter will be only uploaded online ?

Thank you for your time, keep the thread alive people :)

Finally, another person on here! A little bit about yourself?

1) Do you know if the department code for the IELTS score is the same as the GRE's ?If not what is the department code for the IELTS, I cannot seem to find this information in any of the mit websites.

There is no department code for the IELTS, I just used this address:

Ed Ballo

Programs and Admissions Assistant

Technology and Policy Program

77 Massachusetts Avenue, Room E40-369

Cambridge, MA 02139-4307

I've confirmed that this procedure is correct.

2) Besides the official transcript, do they want us to deliver any other document by mail?for example the resume and the cover letter will be only uploaded online ?

And no, nothing else needs to be received by mail.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have applied to TPP program as well. I studied engineering, economics and finance in an engineering school in France and I am now interning in a consulting firm in DC, related to the World Bank's activities in the energy sector.

About my GPA, I don't know at all (we have a totally different system in France so I can't really convert my grades), I just gave my French grades.

My GRE scores are: V: 157;  Q: 165;  AW: 4.0.

I have some more or less relevant research experience, generally focused on the energy sector.

Good luck everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

I submitted my application to TPP as well. Well, as for my background, I am studying at the University of Hong Kong (rank: 1 in Asia/Pacific/23 worldwide) in Civil Engineering with a minor in Finance and my GPA is 3.91/4.0 (major: 4.0/4.0). I have internship experiences at engineering firms including China Three Gorges Corp. and banking/finance firms such as China Devlopment Bank and KPCB. In terms of research experiences, I researched at UC Berkeley for 3 months, UC Davis for 3 months, Imperial College London for 2 months and HKU for nearly one year. My focus within TPP is energy/environment field.

My GRE sucks because I didn't prepare for it at all: Q: 170; V: 154; AW: 4.0.

Good luck to all of you!  I will be happy to see more people sharing their profile. I believe it would be helpful to future applicants.

Hi mkh1991, Ed said they would start evaluate our application materials in early February and the possible time for the decision out will be late February. So, we still have to wait for at least one months! BTW, do you have any information in terms of the profiles of admitted students in previous years? I didn't find any such information in gradcafe yet. Good luck! 

mkh1991, are you studying at IIT by the way? I really think the academic reputation of your undergrad institution is quite important to the chances of getting into graduate schools like MIT.

In the previous years, decisions were sent out in the last week of Febuary and first week of March.

I know that a girl from my school was admitted 2 years ago:

MS in financial engineering - research experience in economics and internships in project and structure finance.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, Did you receive any news from Ed these days?

I have a question to ask you guys. Do you know where the TPP's graduates went for and what their average (or median) salaries are? I just heard from a guy who is studying in the program that their career service is not very good this year and the program is very fit to those who want to pursue a PhD degree at the end. I dunt know if this is true. Please share more information if you know any. In addition, I think we can suggest Ed about improvement of the career service (e.g. resume book) if we are eventually admitted.

I got the acceptance email on 14th Feb :)

Seems earlier than previous years. Perhaps they decided to send out valentine's treats this year. From the result page, it's obvious some other people got offers on 14th as well. The offer letter contains pretty much standard general info. Although it states that "The applications this year were truly outstanding and the process was particularly selective". Good luck to everyone still waiting.

I remember being pretty anxious about my application. So perhaps my profile may be helpful to future applicants.

GRE: Verbal 163 (91%), Quant 168 (97%), Writing 4.5 (73%).

Finished top 2% in a UK top 10 & world top 40 Engineering University. Studied elect & elect engineering. Just over 2 years work experience as a software engineering in a leading investment bank plus summer internship as a Software Engineer at Google while at uni. No prior research experience or publications. Was a bit scared that all my references were from uni lecturers. Kind of weird but my company doesn't let managers give references so I mentioned it in my application based on advice received from the admissions tutor at Stanford.

One minor tip: try to submit your application few days before the deadline. The site got really slow on the day of the deadline & was completely inaccessible few minutes after I submitted my application.

Edited by koo

A bit late to post here but better late than never. I have applied to TPP as well and also Stanford MS&E.

GRE is Q - 168, V - 166. AWA - 4.5

Studied chemical engineering from a pretty decent Indian university. GPA - 8.8. Have some experience in technology and policy through internships with NGOs and projects in college in climate change and energy policy. Did some courses in public policy as well. I really am counting on some of my recos from these places to work for me. Otherwise don't think I stand too much of a chance. 

Now that people have started getting results so early, I really am getting anxious. I wasn't expecting anything to happen for atleast 2 weeks or so.

Keep posting people Keep this forum alive!

Hi Koo, Congratulations on your admission to TPP and thanks for sharing your profile. I just wonder if you would like to tell whether there is any funding available at the stage of your admission. BTW, what field of area are you going for within TPP?

No funding yet, but I'm pretty optimistic because the letter contains things like:

• "majority of TPP students fund their studies through research assistantships (RAs) offered by individual faculty members"
  • "We will work with you to identify potential funding opportunities"
  • link to a page on further info on RAships
  • invitation to the open house on 15th March as a chance to meet researchers to aid with funding search

In terms of research areas, I'm quite flexible. Key areas of interest are:

• MIT information Quality Program
  • Lean Advancement Initiative
  • Systems Engineering Advancement Research Initiative

@henryx, sorry for the late reply- no, I do not study at an IIT, and lacking that sort of reputation will be a problem. I suspect that Vympel (whose profile is eerily similar to mine) does, though. 

Congrats to koo and ghosty! God, it's strange not using real names while congratulating people.

@mkh...Well I am not from IIT either. So I guess we both are on the same page.

@henryx...I still think admits will go out this week or the next. Thats what happened last year, and besides 3-4 people no one else has got admits notifications yet.

Lets see how it turns out. :)

@Vympel, I think your guess is correct. Actually, I am just worried because both Ed and Prof. D. Newman don't reply any e-mail. I think the final results will be sent out this week (Ed said last week of this month).

Let's see what happens. Wish everyone waiting for TPP good luck!

Nope, notIng here. I don't know what Ed is busy with these days but he just simply didn't reply any letters. Just search him in facebook 'Edward Ballo' and leave a message there.

The waiting is killing me as well. I am not be able to 100% focus on my thesis and research project.