MA sop specificity

flytrap

Okay, I've been searching the threads but haven't been able to find a general consensus. I'm currently editing my sop and i wanted to see how specific the research interest section of the sop be for an MA in Art History should be? I'm interested in representations of the human body in French/Spanish/Italian art of the 18th and 19th century. Is that too vague? Should I include theoretical interest? I am definitely interested in Feminist and Gender theories of the body and the self. Do I need to pose a specific question? Choose only one country/century? I don't want to pigeon-hole myself and as I was not an Art History major (I was an interdisciplinary humanities major), I am not as well versed in all the art historical material out there as others (which is why I'm applying to MA programs). Anybody else applying to MA programs in Art History? How specific is your sop?

The interests you have listed are perfect in terms of specificity. For an MA-only program, you are not expected to have a project thought up and outlined that is of dissertation caliber. What you list above shows that you have put thought into what it is you like about art history, so it doesn't seem like you're applying for "fun." You might need to come up with some examples just to make your statement long enough, in which case you might say something like, "After reading blah blah blah about representations of the body...I became interested in how similar theories would apply to French/Spanish/Italian art of the 18th and 19th century." You don't need to bring up any specific theory, unless you know of something you are interested in. If you are unfamiliar with art historical theory (which is okay and will be expected since you aren't coming from an art history background) and you know of some other theory in another discipline you could even mention that you'd like to explore how that theory might relate to art, or something along those lines. (Art historical theory is stolen from other disciplines anyway. Very little of it was actually developed by art historians.) But don't be afraid to admit that you are unfamiliar but interested in learning that stuff. They will know you won't know it, but showing interest in learning is always a good thing.

Be as specific, confident, and truthful as possible. Demonstrate, to the best of your ability, as much mastery over your proposed area of inquiry as you can -- you'll want to give the admissions committee a strong sense of what kind of thinker you are -- no matter where in the thinking process you happen to be. If you say in your SOP that you're interested in "Feminist and Gender theories of the body and the self" -- give a strong and compelling sense of what theories pique your interest and how they inform your thinking about art. Let them know what sorts of questions are you interested in asking.

Aim to be specific about what motivates your thinking without painting yourself into a corner or committing yourself to a certain region/century/set of theories/etc. At the MA level, in particular, it's good to write willingness to think expansively into your SOP -- but use your SOP to sell yourself as a rigorous thinker.

Thanks BearCat1 and asdf123. I think what I got from your responses is to keep my interest is specific enough, I just need to show my knowledge of the terms I use. That sound about right?

Thanks BearCat1 and asdf123. I think what I got from your responses is to keep my interest is specific enough, I just need to show my knowledge of the terms I use. That sound about right?

You need to show your ability to think critically and also that you are able to identify areas where research can be done. You want to show knowledge of theories that can be applied to this research that you propose.

I second BearCat -- remember, even at the MA level, you're competing against a whole lot of really smart kids for a limited number of spots (and an obscenely limited number of funded spots, in most cases). Aim to make yourself seem as smart, confident, and focused as possible.