MS Stats profile evaluation

I'm applying to a few MS programs in stats and I'm kind of curious as to how confident I should be about making it in anywhere.

Undergrad: Midwestern state school, not really great academically or well known, so I have a lot to overcome right here with my app.

Degree: Double majors in math and biology with a minor in chemistry

GPA: Above 3.95/4 in math, bio, and total

GRE: 167V, 166Q (don't know writing yet, but probably 3.5-4.5)

Research Experience: 5 years of biology research in a respected lab (not well known to everyone, but definitely recognized in the field). I've been in charge of my own projects, written reports for drug companies, and generally been extremely involved in all aspects of research (especially data collection and analysis). Also experience with R, SPSS, SAS, S+, C++

Recommendations: Stat theory prof, biology prof whose lab I work in, and analysis prof. The first two should be glowing the third will be good but I didn't know him as well.

Classes: Calc 1-3, differential equations, linear algebra, complex analysis, abstract algebra, stat theory 1 and 2, applied stats, stoichastic modeling, experimental design, intro real analysis, C++, plus a slew of advanced biology classes (pain mechanisms, diabetes pathology, immunology, cell). Big concerns here are B+ in stat theory 1, no linear algebra 2, and no measure theory.

Applications: Top are Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. I have a few more applications going out, but these are the main ones I'm interested in. Especially cause if I'm paying this much to get a degree I want to go somewhere I like.

I'm pretty confident I wouldn't make it into anywhere for a PhD (I was going to apply, but reading this site and others made me discouraged/realistic, so I gave up on that), so I'm going to try to do a masters in stats first then do a PhD in stats, biostats, or biomath depending on how well I do.

So, do I need to temper my expectations about going to grad school and focus on my backup plan? Or do I have a decent shot? I know I could widen my base of applications, but I really don't want to spend 80 grand to get a degree somewhere I'm not keen on living, even if it's a more reasonable that I'd get in there.

Thanks for your input

You should be applying to all of the top Biostatistics programs, from what I can gather.

What gave you the impression that your profile isn't good enough?

Wait until CW gives his input, but it looks to me like you should have a good chance of getting into any top biostats school that you want.

I don't have nearly enough experience in stats. My two theory classes only covered parametric so I feel like I have a big hole in my knowledge. Even then, they weren't proof based. The prof showed us proofs but they weren't very rigorous and we weren't required to know them. Plus my grades weren't as high in a couple key classes as I would have liked in them. Also, I don't have a second linear algebra course, no measure theory, and no stats research experience. And I go to a pretty weak school especially for math, so even our senior level classes are nowhere near as involved as they should be.

I think I'd eventually like to do biostats, but I don't feel nearly comfortable enough with my theory background to jump into important applications, so I'm hoping to do MS in stats first so I can feel out whether I'm in a position to go any farther. When I read about requirements for getting in and out of PhD programs, it just seemed like I could be a "maybe accept" for 15+ ranked schools, but looking at the sample candidacy exams from several schools, I can't imagine I'll ever be prepared to take them. Its just terrifying, and my lack of confidence isn't going to make schools want to risk admitting me. Like I said, I'm not applying for PhD right now cause I just don't feel ready, even if I wanted to I wouldn't meet the deadlines.

This depends on how "not well known" your school is, but if it's even decent you stand a pretty good shot of admission to the PhD programs in biostatistics at the three schools you listed.

Your concerns about preparation appear to be unfounded; you've got far more math than the minimum pre-requisites, including real analysis and two semesters of math stat, which makes you perfectly well-prepared to tackle the first-year curriculum in a PhD program. Given your overall record, I wouldn't be too concerned about one B+, and the lack of linear algebra 2 (whatever that is) isn't going to be a problem.

Personally, I would discourage you from paying for a Masters degree in statistics when you are interested in biostats and are a credible candidate for PhD admission (with funding) at excellent departments that are relatively close by. Even if you don't get admitted as a PhD student, you are a slam dunk for Masters admission. And if you do gain admission but later decide that a PhD program just isn't working out, it's usually pretty straightforward to "downgrade" and leave with a Masters degree. Some priority deadlines have passed, it's true, but I think you should still apply anyway since most applicants aren't reviewed until after the holidays.