Columbia SOP length?

This is really last minute, I know, but the English dept's webpage indicates 500 words while the grad school homepage says no more than a 1000. Mine hovers around 900. Common sense tells me to go with the English dept's directions, but ... not going to lie it would be fantastic if I could just submit my SOP as is. Oh yes, so the question is, are people going for 500 or 1000?

Thanks.

As I posted in another thread on here, I contacted the department and was told that the department "prefers" the 500-word statement. You can, however, get a little bit more space out of the "2-page double-spaced" option that's listed with the 500-word one on the departmental webpage.

As I posted in another thread on here, I contacted the department and was told that the department "prefers" the 500-word statement. You can, however, get a little bit more space out of the "2-page double-spaced" option that's listed with the 500-word one on the departmental webpage.

I thought I remembered someone posting about this recently! Fr some reason, the forum search function wasn't being too cooperative with me last night. Thanks everyone.