I think we could all use a good boast in morale...

... so let's discuss what we've been able to accomplish this semester.

I'll go first:

I finished grading ALL my student papers (that's about 83 there), and I'm done with all my apps except for Stanford. And for them I only need to work on my SOP, and it's not due till the 18th and my rec letters have already been uploaded.

Keep it going :)

OH, and can we start by pointing out that I wrote "boast" instead of "boost" as the title? Good thing this isn't my SOP... hehehe... chirpchirp.

Hey, after mentally listing all of my reasons I may not get into grad school, I need both a boost and a boast! I am really happy about how this semester is going. I tried a lot of new things in my classes (website featuring student writing, twitter to promote reading comprehend, book clubs, etc), and I'm happy about how they have turned out. My students seem to be engaged in the classroom and progressing in their reading and writing skills. Score!

Also, I have been developing in my cooking skills. I made my own granola bars this weekend, from scratch, and they are delish!

I revised my SOP and writing sample to the point where my notoriously-difficult-to-please advisor (who's also chair of the department) emailed me and said, "This was worth coming into work early on a Monday for."

I finished teaching my first class ever and got great feedback from my students (final conferences are tomorrow with their portfolios due Thursday). Several of them have told me it was their favorite class of the semester and the vast majority said it really helped with their writing.

I've finished eight out of thirteen applications, with the remaining five not due until the end of December/early January. I am organized enough to just need to upload the documents and fill out the applications when I have the time to sit down and do so.

I took and survived the subject test, getting a score I can live with.

I guess I got a lot more done than it feels like. This process seems designed to suck every last ounce of self-worth out of you, so it's helpful to sit down and list all the things you did right.

Oh, and even though it's not important in the slightest, I got a chili pepper on RMP. My face when I saw that:

oh_stop_it_you_postcard-p239441177219401153envli_400.jpg

this thread is all kinds of awesome. great idea rems!

i just found out last week that the paper/video i submitted to the Contemporary Gendered Performance and Practice Conference at Queen's University, Belfast was accepted, so i now have an excuse to visit ireland for the first time.

irish_guiness09-vi.jpg

Oh, and even though it's not important in the slightest, I got a chili pepper on RMP.

The chili pepper is probably the most meaningful metric on RMP, considering that most of the evaluations are ill-formed, nonsensical diatribes by unmotivated students.

Things I've accomplished this semester:

1. I took an awesome independent study that helped focus my research interests.

2. Drawing from #1, I wrote my best paper yet, the only one of which I can say I'm proud. It was convincing enough to change my advisor's mind about a theoretical/conceptual issue, so I think that's a good sign.

3. I submitted another decent paper to an undergraduate conference, and I think it'll be accepted.

4. I've successfully been running the local chapter of my honor society and believe I'll be able to send a few of our members--myself included, hopefully-- to a major west coast city for the aforementioned conference.

It's been a hectic term, but I'm feeling relatively sane, despite worrying about these graduate school applications every damn day.

I don't feel like I accomplished very much this semester, but I did manage to keep up with my coursework (mostly), submit (most of) my apps, and get that godawful Lit GRE out of the way... oh yeah, all with an infant under 4 months old (born in August). Yeah, so there's that. I didn't go insane and jump off a bridge and my baby is still alive. Win? :P

I don't feel like I accomplished very much this semester, but I did manage to keep up with my coursework (mostly), submit (most of) my apps, and get that godawful Lit GRE out of the way... oh yeah, all with an infant under 4 months old (born in August). Yeah, so there's that. I didn't go insane and jump off a bridge and my baby is still alive. Win? :P

I think MAKING A HUMAN BEING is a pretty big accomplishment!

I accomplished everything I needed to accomplish between September 1 and today. And I made a sweater. I also faced my financial fears and began paying off debt and even managed to put some money into savings. I changed the oil in my car all by myself. I did a lot of "learning how to be an adult" things. It's maybe not the most impressive time period of my life but I've also learned how to treat myself better and put less pressure on myself.

Seriously! You deserve a medal :)

Also this thread is making me feel completely inadequate. I finished all work for my last degree in August and have been doing pretty much nothing else. I started a part time job and am slowly getting back to a YA novel I started over a year ago...but other than that, I'm a useless human being.

I suppose I'd rather be contributing nothing to the world than taking something away!

I finished all work for my last degree in August and have been doing pretty much nothing else.

that, in & of itself, is an accomplishment. never underestimate the importance of enjoying some much needed downtime every now & again. it'll help stave off burning out.

I'm done with all my apps and I've graded 6 out of 7 classes. Although I now think getting them submitted wasn't the best idea as it gives me so much time to stew over waiting! :lol: and I got a paper under review. I might be working on another paper to submit, but we'll see :unsure: my original plan was to work on this paper and submit it to another journal (in feb) but somehow I don't feel like working on reworking another paper just yet -- stewing is more tiring than I thought. :mellow:

The chili pepper is probably the most meaningful metric on RMP, considering that most of the evaluations are ill-formed, nonsensical diatribes by unmotivated students.

I had one then it went away. Saddest day of my life. Definitely the only sign that you're doing well as an educator.

I bow to you.

I revised my SOP and writing sample to the point where my notoriously-difficult-to-please advisor (who's also chair of the department) emailed me and said, "This was worth coming into work early on a Monday for."

I finished teaching my first class ever and got great feedback from my students (final conferences are tomorrow with their portfolios due Thursday). Several of them have told me it was their favorite class of the semester and the vast majority said it really helped with their writing.

I've finished eight out of thirteen applications, with the remaining five not due until the end of December/early January. I am organized enough to just need to upload the documents and fill out the applications when I have the time to sit down and do so.

I took and survived the subject test, getting a score I can live with.

I guess I got a lot more done than it feels like. This process seems designed to suck every last ounce of self-worth out of you, so it's helpful to sit down and list all the things you did right.

Oh, and even though it's not important in the slightest, I got a chili pepper on RMP. My face when I saw that:

oh_stop_it_you_postcard-p239441177219401153envli_400.jpg

congrats! On the chili pepper!

I spent over 2000 dollars on new shoes and sportscoats early this year in hopes of getting a chili pepper, but i guess you can't buy your way out of ugly.

This year I learned Portuguese, invented the hybrid dish known as "wonton matzoh ball soup," and deleted my Facebook. It's been a year of change, a good year.

"wonton matzoh ball soup" sounds weirdly delicious.

Speaking of wild food combos, does anybody else thing pierogies would be amazing in/with curry?

YES. That does sound good. I've recently started eating tofu with curry a lot and it's really good. I'm not a vegetarian, tofu is just really cheap and delicious.

Isn't a samosa basically just a deep-fried pierogi?

Kind of... only with peas and spices and all kind of stuff. This is probably what lead me to this idea, which is no longer as exciting now that you have pointed this out.

YES. That does sound good. I've recently started eating tofu with curry a lot and it's really good. I'm not a vegetarian, tofu is just really cheap and delicious.

BAH I've been a vegetarian for almost 10 years and I LOVE tofu, but I still suck at making it/all other foods. Recipes please.

Edited by asleepawake

BAH I've been a vegetarian for almost 10 years and I LOVE tofu, but I still suck at making it/all other foods. Recipes please.

Coconut milk (2-3 tbsp), tofu, broccoli, curry: mix in a pan over heat. Easiest deliciocity imaginable. (Hint: even better with tempeh)