0 for 8

MDLee

After a rousing fight for admissions to her favorite university, Team MDLee has just received yet another reject EMAIL throwing her dreams of PhD superstardom out to sea. Asked if she felt slighted in any way, the diminutive scholar declined to comment other than to grumble something about having no time to think about it since she was too busy trying to make the "Top Poster" list for March.

The current status of Team MDLee is 0 for 5 with 5 apps out...its anybody's game, folks. Stay tuned!

UPDATE: Add Vanderbilt to the "Sorry girl, you suck" category...

UPDATED UPDATE: Oh yah..and Brown.

UPDATED UPDATED UPDATE: ...And Emory. Who insisted that I was qualified but that funding was a problem.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

0 for 4 here, so also half rejected/half waiting. I sympathise! Internet friendly non-creepy hug!

And adding insult to injury - as I wrote in another post, Friends A and B, both with poorer scores, extracurriculars etc. than I, are accepted whilst I hold naught but rejections. Friend C also got accepted but without funding so now he's struggling for fellowships, etc. - I wish I had his dilemna rather than the one MDLee and I share.

Let me guess, all your friends and family are providing a rousing chorus of "But not all your schools have gotten back to you yet, don't be upset, you still have so many chances!"?

0 for 4 here, so also half rejected/half waiting. I sympathise! Internet friendly non-creepy hug!

And adding insult to injury - as I wrote in another post, Friends A and B, both with poorer scores, extracurriculars etc. than I, are accepted whilst I hold naught but rejections. Friend C also got accepted but without funding so now he's struggling for fellowships, etc. - I wish I had his dilemna rather than the one MDLee and I share.

Let me guess, all your friends and family are providing a rousing chorus of "But not all your schools have gotten back to you yet, don't be upset, you still have so many chances!"?

:shock: Wow...its like you were sitting right here this whole time ::fake shock:: How does she do that?!

I'm with you! I applied to four schools and have had just one response, rejection! But I do think that this year is harder than most. The economy just HAD to tank the year we were applying... :roll:

Who knows, maybe there is some grand purpose for us - maybe we are to be remembered throughout history as the generation that was unable to get into grad school and saved the world from global warming, or hunger, or something instead...

I sure hope the economy improves by next year, though. I have a strong feeling I'll be stuck for a year with straight rejections, and be doing this again...

If it's any consolation it seems like you all have been denied from top programs...meaning there's nothing to be ashamed of and it isn't necessarily a sign of things to come. I'm sitting on zero as well, but it's not over 'til it's over!!!

Recycled Viking, what ship are you hugging in your picture? It's too small for me to tell if it's one I'd recognize!
It's Odin's Raven, a three-quarter replica of a Viking longship. She was sailed from Norway to Peel, Isle of Man in honor of their Tynwald Millenium celebration and now resides there in the House of Manannan museum.

Somewhere there's also a photo of me embracing the Hahvingsten fra Glendalough at the Collins Barracks in Dublin before I saw the sign not to touch the ship :? In my defense though they had already sailed it from Denmark so there was little chance of my hug wrecking it.

In my opinion, the only thing more badass than going to graduate school would be getting in on a replica longship voyage. I ALMOST applied to help sail the Hahvingsten back to Denmark last summer, but it was just all at the wrong time. I'm afraid that's one of those things I'll regret in sixty years, so hopefully another project will come up before then.

age nerdity>

Erm, sorry if I hijacked this thread...yes yes, graduate school waiting SUCKS! Argh!

It feels like the people writing on this board are the ONLY people I can relate to in the universe right now. I applied to 7 schools and just found my second rejection today on the school's website. Have the whole RUPA thing going on for myself. Just wanted to say, I am really glad this website exists and to wish everyone the best of luck!

P.S. Does anyone have an eye twitch yet? Cause I sure do.

I thought you were lifting it. lol .
If I had that ability, I would drag a longship to Cambridge MA, New Haven CT, South Bend IN, and Princeton NJ for the most glorious display of Viking violence in the New World since Freyd

Speaking of feeling a kinship here with everyone over the uncertainty of our admissions future...

Does anyone find the parental unit completely awful at corresponding condolences? I get this phone call from my mother going, "Oh-god, kid-oh! You where rejected from those two schools?! I have to be honest, Adriana, I am just so SHOCKED!"

I replied, "First, Binghamton is the only formal rejection. Second, the other one is simply very probable; it's not official. Third, I love you, but stop acting like you understand this process. It's very-very difficult and, ma, seriously, it wasn't a shock this is a competition. You're just made me feel worse."

"Well, I know, honey. I know how you're'ah feeling 'n all. It's a shock. I'm so shocked! I thought those two were definite, ya know; I mean, I know you didn't want to go there and all but...gosh, Adriana, it's such a shame..." and on-and-on-and-on...

:cry:

I am so glad for this board and you people. My sanity would have left me completely by now without you all... stuck talking to that woman, I swear, I'm lucky to have a marginally stable mentality anyway. Yeesh.

The toughest part of becoming an adult is realizing your parents know very little about the world and probably never did.

It's really scary when you get intimations of not knowing shit yourself, but life saves that for your 30s. :lol:

The toughest part of becoming an adult is realizing your parents know very little about the world and probably never did.

It's really scary when you get intimations of not knowing shit yourself, but life saves that for your 30s. :lol:

Yeah, my mother thinks that graduate departments "just accept people 'cause they need them." Now I feel, when I talk to them, that I'm like, "At one point in my life you two were smart, in my eyes. Now that I have surpassed you on the scholarly field of play, just write the checks..."

And - why'd you bring up the big 30's? I'm all ready chasing one wrinkle - like a crack on a windshield - that is racing across my forehead and a patch of grays. I'll be a white-hair before I'm 35... and with inklings of idiocy boot? Christ...

I am going to go get a new set of tits after all this is over; at least if I'm dumb I can still feel hot, god damn it!

:(

I'm all ready chasing one wrinkle - like a crack on a windshield - that is racing across my forehead and a patch of grays. I'll be a white-hair before I'm 35...

Mascara is great for covering greys at the temple in a pinch.

(like, in case you're dating a younger guy).

Does anyone find the parental unit completely awful at corresponding condolences? I get this phone call from my mother going, "Oh-god, kid-oh! You where rejected from those two schools?! I have to be honest, Adriana, I am just so SHOCKED!"
Neither of my parental units (nor all four of them if you count the step's) have a degree so they've mercifully stepped back, well apart from the occasional "It's not the end of the world!"'s from mom. My aunt on the other hand has more MA's than I can count, and she tossed out this amazing one-liner that I'm still trying to comprehend when I told her I was rejected from Harvard and Princeton: "The only person more shocked than you is me!" Umm...thanks????

I'm with you! I applied to four schools and have had just one response, rejection! But I do think that this year is harder than most. The economy just HAD to tank the year we were applying... :roll:

Who knows, maybe there is some grand purpose for us - maybe we are to be remembered throughout history as the generation that was unable to get into grad school and saved the world from global warming, or hunger, or something instead...

I sure hope the economy improves by next year, though. I have a strong feeling I'll be stuck for a year with straight rejections, and be doing this again...

This IS my "doing this again" year...and yet I'm currently 0 for 2...with four schools left to hear from. =( I even busted ass studying for the physics gre for last fall and ridiculously improved my score from the year previous, but it doesn't seem to be helping any.

That having been said, I'm applying to four physics programs and two math programs (the two rejections were from physics), and think I may have a better shot at the math programs anyway. But really, I'd be happy to just go anywhere I applied. Here's hoping something turns up positive for each of us.

(And as far as a grand purpose...if I don't get in anywhere this year, I think I'm just gonna sell out and go work for a financial company, earn lots of money. If academia doesn't want me, then ok...academia's loss. :) )

It's Odin's Raven, a three-quarter replica of a Viking longship. She was sailed from Norway to Peel, Isle of Man in honor of their Tynwald Millenium celebration and now resides there in the House of Manannan museum.

Somewhere there's also a photo of me embracing the Hahvingsten fra Glendalough at the Collins Barracks in Dublin before I saw the sign not to touch the ship :? In my defense though they had already sailed it from Denmark so there was little chance of my hug wrecking it.

In my opinion, the only thing more badass than going to graduate school would be getting in on a replica longship voyage. I ALMOST applied to help sail the Hahvingsten back to Denmark last summer, but it was just all at the wrong time. I'm afraid that's one of those things I'll regret in sixty years, so hopefully another project will come up before then.

age nerdity>

Erm, sorry if I hijacked this thread...yes yes, graduate school waiting SUCKS! Argh!

Okay I am going to continue hijacking! I've never heard of Odin's Raven, but it sounds pretty neat. Also I <3 Havhingsten fra Glendalough! I wanted to apply last year as well, but didn't find out about it until the crew was full...then I happened to meet most of them, and they were almost all much more experienced sailors than me, so I didn't really have a chance anyway. They were also awesome, so I was very very jealous. However, I've heard the Roskilde museum does smaller and less well-marketed summer voyages with some of their other four replicas fairly often. (There is a photo of me steering one of them, for around 30 seconds, on one of their round-the-harbor day sails :D) So keep an eye on their website! Also, I've heard they're going to be making a new replica of the Gokstad ship at the Viking Ship Museum in Oslo...so maybe by the time we're finished with grad school, it'll be ready ;)

Someday I would really, really love to go on a historic ship voyage...Viking replica, American tall ship, I don't really care that much. *sigh*

Wow, this really distracted me from waiting for about 10 minutes. And also made me question whether I really want to go to grad school, because clearly it's better to be a Viking.

It feels like the people writing on this board are the ONLY people I can relate to in the universe right now. I applied to 7 schools and just found my second rejection today on the school's website. Have the whole RUPA thing going on for myself. Just wanted to say, I am really glad this website exists and to wish everyone the best of luck!

P.S. Does anyone have an eye twitch yet? Cause I sure do.

Oh zelda...I have an eye twitch...but I think it comes from late night thesis writing.

Sucks even more if your parents are over achievers. Plus my mom is a prof..so can't even pull the ol' you don't understand what I'm going through routine. Totally agree with the second part though. Sometimes I feel like I'm pretending to be an adult. Seriously some of my other relatives believe academia is non competitive and that any imbecile can make it to grad school..which in retrospect explains why they have such confidence in me :).

Also, I've heard they're going to be making a new replica of the Gokstad ship at the Viking Ship Museum in Oslo...so maybe by the time we're finished with grad school, it'll be ready ;)
I KNEW it. I've been keeping an eye on the Oslo Viking Museum website because they're due for a replica and as far as I can tell Norway is better about gov't funding than Denmark. But their "English translation" website version is only a page on museum hours...and I was all like damn it not knowing Norwegian (yet)!

Wow, this really distracted me from waiting for about 10 minutes. And also made me question whether I really want to go to grad school, because clearly it's better to be a Viking.
Well obviously. Basically the reason I'm going to graduate school (bare optimism!) is so I can do this to "conduct research" rather than looking like the local loon:

3149823124_965ec49560.jpg

I KNEW it. I've been keeping an eye on the Oslo Viking Museum website because they're due for a replica and as far as I can tell Norway is better about gov't funding than Denmark. But their "English translation" website version is only a page on museum hours...and I was all like damn it not knowing Norwegian (yet)!

Well obviously. Basically the reason I'm going to graduate school (bare optimism!) is so I can do this to "conduct research" rather than looking like the local loon:

3149823124_965ec49560.jpg

oddly...that's my reasoning as well. Sigh. Maybe us would-be academics should just face the fact that we are the local loons and save ourselves the suffering :wink:

Mascara is great for covering greys at the temple in a pinch.

(like, in case you're dating a younger guy).

Well, I date older guys so it doesn't matter as much. But I always like when I'm out on a date and, depending on how hard I've worked, I gauge my looks by the waiter or waitress commentary such as, "I need to see ID" or "It's okay, Ma'am, let me get that for you..."

I'm like, "What happened to 'Miss'?!" I'm 22-ish for fuck sake!! The variations should not be conclusive to how much foundation I used to fill in the cracks! And, no, I am not Medusa, but for someone in my 20's I'm close to falling apart; I thank graduate school applications and thesis papers for this and and absolutely devastated sex life.

:shock:

I hear you. I fell asleep on the train home from work, and last shared my bed with a cat. Not even my cat, one of my roommates'. I'm actually hoping for a *better* quality of life in grad school....

I'm getting so sick of waiting to hear from schools, though!