Writing Sample- (Last minute question)

artlover

Application deadlines are fast approaching and I have a (very) last minute question.

When it comes to writing samples where they specify a length (i.e. 15-25 pages) but do NOT specify whether that includes footnotes/bibliography/images what did you do?

Did you include footnotes/bibliography/images on top of this length? or did the 25 pages sample include all of those things?

I called three programs, and they all told me that images and bibliography were included. I messed with my footnotes so they are ridiculously small with hardly any space between, then I dumped all the images I could while still allowing it to be clear that I could "read" art. And I dumped almost half of my bibliography but titled it "ABRIDGED BIBLIOGRAPHY" so it was clear that I didn't think that was all the scholarship on the subject.

You could try changing footnotes to end notes to avoid any weird spacing things where it bumps you to the next page. And maybe put all the info in the footnotes/endnotes so that you can dump the bibliography altogether? I also shrunk my images so that I could fit 4-6 on a page. I hope that's helpful. Good luck!

Thank you Beartcat1, I called three programs today that have deadlines on the 15th and two told me that it didn't include bibliography/images and one stated that the page limit did indeed include images and bibliography.

Your tips for condensing my sample are very helpful! Looks like I have some serious formatting work ahead of me.

Good luck to you as well.

I would cut images entirely before cutting too deep into bibliography, particularly if you are dealing with major works that your POI is going to know inside and out. I left the [fig. #] in text, provided a one page list of illustrations, and then explained in a footnote that images were omitted for length, please see attached illustration list, PDF with images available upon request. This is how we get around strict page limits for book proposals at work, so I co-opted that strategy. You've got options! It helped, though, that I was dealing with canonical works in my field. I kept one image tucked in the illustration list - a comparison, only because I spent a lot of time on the IR overlay.

I would cut images entirely before cutting too deep into bibliography, particularly if you are dealing with major works that your POI is going to know inside and out. I left the [fig. #] in text, provided a one page list of illustrations, and then explained in a footnote that images were omitted for length, please see attached illustration list, PDF with images available upon request. This is how we get around strict page limits for book proposals at work, so I co-opted that strategy. You've got options! It helped, though, that I was dealing with canonical works in my field. I kept one image tucked in the illustration list - a comparison, only because I spent a lot of time on the IR overlay.

I work on something so obscure that this didn't occur to me, but of course, this is ideal! (My images were scanned from foreign texts or obtained through curators, so not readily available.)

I was surprised to see that some schools, including UPenn, ask for a document with no images - definitely read the specifications carefully.

Where did you see that? The application itself and the Admissions section of the department website don't say that.

Where did you see that? The application itself and the Admissions section of the department website don't say that.

It suggests you omit images if you need to get the file down to size. It's not a request.